Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

front section of cage

conleth

Trainee
hi all,

been thinking about getting the front cage section for my 997.1 RS, its mostly used on track. noticed one of the cars for sale in the classifieds had one, but not fitted. the sellers says minimal use and in good condition. he says hadn't thought of selling it when i emailed him but to make him an offer

not sure how much the were to spec when ordering new, or how much porsche would ask for supplying one now, not sure what it would be worth for a second hand one?

any ideas? :dont know:

cheers

conleth

They were never on the options list as such (Motorsport part - special order only) so I don't know what they were then. What I do know is that Carnewal can supply the front section for a 997 for (sit down) €4295 or €4795 depending upon whether you want one or two door bars.

Not sure whether you additionally need plates welded into the floor to use it (as with all non-clubsport 996s).

Wow! Nearly 5k, there's many cage builders out there, that will build and fit for a quarter of that.

I bought the front section for mine for £175 delivered from Northern Ireland. I'd been looking for 2 years before I even found one, luckily for a sensible price.

Disco said:
They were never on the options list as such (Motorsport part - special order only) so I don't know what they were then. What I do know is that Carnewal can supply the front section for a 997 for (sit down) €4295 or €4795 depending upon whether you want one or two door bars.

The front section of the roll cage was never sold separately by Porsche.
You are more likely to find one being sold by a GT3 owner (or ex-owner) who no longer has any use for it.

wow!! glad i was sitting down for that!! thats a huge amount of money.

that was going to be my plan to buy a second hand one that the current gt3 user had no further use for. £175 is a very good price, cant see a 997 owner willing to part with the cage for that sort of money though.. thought of offering about £500? dont know if that seems reasonable?

as you say - a good cage builder could build and fit one for you for a fraction of the 4750Euro!!

thanks for replies folks

conleth

Red993C4 said:
Disco said:

You are more likely to find one being sold by a GT3 owner (or ex-owner) who no longer has any use for it.

That was certainly the case for the 996 (I don't know about the air cooled cars, but possibly those too), but is not for the 997 (for which the front section was technically actually never available with the car). Nick got lucky with the front 996 section for his - I know that at least one 996RS owner bought a complete new cage just to get the front section.

For the 997, the rear section is actually priced below the front (a further €3195, or the whole cage can be bought €500 below the combined prices of the two halves from that supplier).

Oh - a final footnote is that an entire 996 cage (front and rear sections - even the RS version) is well over €1000 less than the price of just the front section for a 997. Crackers isn't it. That said - the 997 front section is a multi-beam ladder structure with door bars and not just the single bar of the previous cars (as such - you could in theory fit lightweight carbon doors without reinforcement beams from a cup car if you went that route).

Disco said:
Red993C4 said:
Disco said:

That was certainly the case for the 996 (I don't know about the air cooled cars, but possibly those too), but is not for the 997 (for which the front section was technically actually never available with the car). Nick got lucky with the front 996 section for his - I know that at least one 996RS owner bought a complete new cage just to get the front section.

For the 997, the rear section is actually priced below the front (a further €3195, or the whole cage can be bought €500 below the combined prices of the two halves from that supplier).

Oh - a final footnote is that an entire 996 cage (front and rear sections - even the RS version) is well over €1000 less than the price of just the front section for a 997. Crackers isn't it. That said - the 997 front section is a multi-beam ladder structure with door bars and not just the single bar of the previous cars (as such - you could in theory fit lightweight carbon doors without reinforcement beams from a cup car if you went that route).

You are right. I had been been thinking of the 996 GT3 when I wrote the above, but your latest post reminds me that there was a "step change" between the 996 and 997 GT3 Clubsport roll cages, due to FIA introducing much stricter requirements for their strength. The Clubsport cages were always designed to fulfill the latest FIA requirements for track use.
IIRC, the newest FIA requirements got to the stage then where any front cage section capable of fulfilling them was no longer capable of being used legally on public roads in those countries where it had previously been possible, which explains why it wasn't sold with the car.

Sorry for the thread hijack but I need to install the front section of my 996 mk1 cage and wondered if anyone knows the part numbers for the bolts or indeed the size and length?

Looks like 2 for each leg base and one with maybe a nut too, on each side at the top of the B pillar area.

I've had a look on my parts pdf but can't see them and the parts guys up here, whilst friendly, aren't always great at finding things for my GT3.
I sometimes have to find them myself and give them the part numbers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Mark.

Also forgot to say the 997 has the extra bars in the front section and triangulation compared with the 996 version
Cheers

hi neil,

cool, good find, cheers for that. looks like just what im after if is same fit for 996+997. will have a closer look :thumb:

conleth

conleth said:
hi neil,

cool, good find, cheers for that. looks like just what im after if is same fit for 996+997. will have a closer look :thumb:

conleth

IIRC, you cannot "mix n' match" different generations (996 with 997) of front and rear cages, as the interface connections do not match.

I suspect that Rainge's sentence "Also all 996 and 997 cages fit together with front and rear sections" was not meant to be understood that way, but was open to misinterpretation. :dont know:

As far as I was aware and told by a guy who has a lot of experience in this field all cages are interchangeable so if for example you have a 996 rear section a 997 front section will fit and vice versa. The mounts in the floor are in the same postion.The only exception with this is the 997.2 cages, they will physically bolt together with the other sections but the door bars are different but that's the only reason.
Also I have noticed the Fvd front section cage doesn't seem to have the top roof diagonal which some 997's have that I've noticed, so not sure if this is an extra option and has the brackets for it
Cheers
Neil

the rainge said:
As far as I was aware and told by a guy who has a lot of experience in this field all cages are interchangeable so if for example you have a 996 rear section a 997 front section will fit and vice versa. The mounts in the floor are in the same postion.The only exception with this is the 997.2 cages, they will physically bolt together with the other sections but the door bars are different but that's the only reason.
Also I have noticed the Fvd front section cage doesn't seem to have the top roof diagonal which some 997's have that I've noticed, so not sure if this is an extra option and has the brackets for it
Cheers
Neil

The mounts on the floor (at A-post and B-post) are in the same position, but I believe that the connections between the front and rear cages at the tops of the B-post were different. :dont know:
There was a change of supplier during the life of the cage and, IIRC, there was a design alteration made at that point in time. I'm not sure about it, but would suggest that anyone spending cash on a half-cage should check this point before committing themselves.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hetryx
Back