Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front Alignment Sanity Check

CK99Something

I had my front springs changed at a local indie and they said the tracking should be checked but didn't do it straight away as the tread was low on the tyres (which I though was a bit odd!).

So took it back another time and it came back with adjustment sheet with all parameters front and rear nicely in the middle. However, steering wheel was about 45degrees off centre (grr).

Took it back for another go and it was closer but still off (grrrrrr).
So took it back yet again and steering wheel is now straight but when I look at the adjustment sheet some of the settings have moved a bit (certainly not bang on as before) but are still in the green but the LH camber is way over in the red.

Explanation is we were maxed out on the camber adjustment so will have to re-align the subframe if you want that setting back in the green and its only 0.15degree so why are you worried!

With my simple understanding of auto geometry I was expecting the track rods to be adjusted each side to point the wheels in the appropriate direction to make it go straight while retaining correct toe angles. Why would the camber be changed from it's bang on setting before?

So should I worry about -0.65degrees front camber against target of -0.50degrees (which it was before)?

There are others on here with a better understanding of what the camber difference will mean.

There is a reason a lot of us go to Center Gravity for geometry - top level service and they would never return the car with steering wheel off-centre or say "why are you worried". They fix the issues and set the car up to your spec.

They recommended various things to me including changing tyres as I had a mix of new/old. They also replaced a seriously bent toe arm, around which an indie had previously adjusted the geo instead of replacing it! That's not to say that there aren't other people that provide good geo services, but the CG team are dedicated to doing this every day to the highest standard and the rave reviews you read on here tell the story.

have a look at the 3 nuts at the top of the strut and see how far the nuts are moved away from the centre of the car. they can slide in/out a bit

0.1 deg isnt much but Id be bit concerned they cant get it green. The rear is a mare because changing camber adjusts toe and vice versa and there isnt much toe adjustment but the fronts should have loads of toe adjustment

giving you a car back with the steering wheel out 45deg rings enough alarm bells for me that Id be looking elsewhere.

personally Id leave it though and drive on.

Go somewhere else - they're taking the urine. 1st thing I'd do is get down kwikfit for a free check (don't get adjustments done) then compare their results with what you already have.

As has been suggested it seems that your choice of garage seem not to match your own expectations of maintenance for your Porsche, I doubt you will change that situation without changing service provider..?

One thing that did cross my mind when you typed of the steering wheel being off centre was, depending on what model of Porsche, I wonder if there could be any upset caused in the control systems when a Porsche with a steering angle sensor built into the steering column might be presenting a different input to the ECU than the direction that the wheels are actually pointing...? But then I suppose there are parameters built into the system to account for wear and tear etc... :?:

It was correct on the geometry but steering wheel was out by 45 degrees ..

Strange they returned the car to you after a geo with the steering wheel so far out :?:

instead of removing the steering wheel and refitting it more central and then adjusting the geo to get it spot on it sounds like they have tried to adjust the geo to match the position of the steering wheel ... that's too much to adjust too it sounds like .

It will certainly need a steering angle sensor calibration after this though .

Curious .. i assume the steering wheel was central before the springs and tyres were replaced ?

deMort said:
It was correct on the geometry but steering wheel was out by 45 degrees ..

Strange they returned the car to you after a geo with the steering wheel so far out :?:

instead of removing the steering wheel and refitting it more central and then adjusting the geo to get it spot on it sounds like they have tried to adjust the geo to match the position of the steering wheel ... that's too much to adjust too it sounds like .

It will certainly need a steering angle sensor calibration after this though .

Curious .. i assume the steering wheel was central before the springs and tyres were replaced ?

The steering was bang on prior to springs being done.

Sadly I can't help but agree with the comments posted here about changing to another service provider.

When it came back from the springs being done the internal panels were loose in the front (e.g. not fitted) and a screwdriver was left next to the bonnet catch, which could have easily twisted or dented the bonnet.

When it came back from the tracking adjustment (3rd attempt) it had the panel over the screen wash filler and the battery cover loose in the front again!

I didnt bother complaining this time but the point I made first time round is if the stuff I can see has had so little care, what about the stuff I cant see?

Just so frustrating because the dream of running an older 911 was partly facilitated by having a local indie.

I had my car's geo done a couple of times by a respected indy. When I took it to Center Gravity it turned out the rear toe arms were completely seized and the bolts had to be cut out, so there is no way they'd ever been adjusted... rather lost my confidence in the indy since.

Any decent mechanic can work on these cars, there's no myth or magic to them. Just find a local garage who know what there doing - simples.......and save yourself a barrel of money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markevo6
Back