Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Francis Tuthill

bbvet

About to book my garage queen into Francis Tuthill nr Banbury, for its annual service and check/refurb of rear chassis rails/rot behind the heatshields and anything else that needs doing. Would be grateful for feedback from anyone else who has used these guys. :dont know:
PS will def get them to take pics of said chassis rails.

Their reputation is fantastic and the quality of the work I have seen from them is first class so you will not be disappointed
Ashley

They're obviously not a favourite amongst the 993 owners who inhabit this site so thanks for the reassurance Ashley!

they are a classic 911 dealer, no reason why they cant work on 993's but worth checking to see if their prices are competitve

Tuthills are £60/hr how does this compare? I suppose the fact they dont seem to be working on a lot of 993s means they wont be as quick doing the job, but how different can a 993 be to work on from the earlier models? :dont know:

Tuthills are very good, plus have engineerIng facilities in house. They did a lot of work on an early 911 of mine. A 993 is really not very different at all. They also work on 959's so a 993 should be simple! Good luck! If you get a chance to meet Francis, he has some great stories.

Ocean Blue said:
£60 / hour is competative. I pay around £75 with OPC.

Sorry to go off topic slightly, but anyone know whether the OPC labour rate is the same at every OPC? Or are some cheaper than others?

£60 an hour roughly the same as Northway and Tognola who are very good alternatives specifically for 993's

OPC Tonbridge were £120/hr when I last asked, before any discount that is.

Back to OP - Tuthill are legends and masters at their art - I'm sure your 993 will be in very safe hands!

Roro said:
Ocean Blue said:
£60 / hour is competative. I pay around £75 with OPC.

Sorry to go off topic slightly, but anyone know whether the OPC labour rate is the same at every OPC? Or are some cheaper than others?

Labour rates do vary. In addition owners of older cars usually get a 30%-40% discount off labour at OPC. An OPC in the South East may charge £70/hour or so for an air-cooled car (and perhaps 996?) but not on a 997. However, you could always try.

Just as a comparison - Audi Hatfield are £140 per hour! I told them where to stick it !!!!

Tuthills have also recently taken on Matt, the mechanic from Bob watson after Bob shut up shop. He has serviced my 3.2 and my 993. In fact the last time I spoke to him at Bobs he was showing me a 993 engine that he was rebuilding.
:)

bbvet said:
About to book my garage queen into Francis Tuthill nr Banbury, for its annual service and check/refurb of rear chassis rails/rot behind the heatshields and anything else that needs doing. Would be grateful for feedback from anyone else who has used these guys. :dont know:
PS will def get them to take pics of said chassis rails.

Tuthill's have serviced my car on three occasions over the last 25K miles, and also fixed the cam-cover leaks and scuttle rust, all jobs done to my satisfaction at a realistic/reasonable cost. I plan to use them again.

Martin
993 C2 tip, 97K, enjoyed in all weathers and only occasionally washed

P.S. Please excuse me butting into this forum, I have read it with interest but have had little to contribute to date

Seem to really know their stuff - I was in Kenya for the Safari Classic a couple of years ago and the old 911's they had prep'd were fantastic!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back