Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fleeting massive vibration & green fluid

Helsinki Paul

Montreal
Couple of symptoms likely unrelated.

Driving back to town this evening, switched aircon on as +5c and sunny wanted to give the A/C system a run as only been activated for a few mins every couple of weeks during winter.

Went round a roundabout and accelerated along a straight road. Noticed that the car was pulling to the right then massive vibration through the steering wheel making the car virtually undrivable.

Thought I had a puncture so pulled over all tyres ok, wheels secure no play. Noticed a strange chemical smell. Opened the engine cover and noticed something wet and green coating the A/C compressor, this green fluid had also been flung by centrifugal force agains the engine cover and over the engine mount (not a great deal though just a thin film)

As I was stopped in a bad place I got back in to move the car off the road further and switched off the A/C. As I drove forward I noticed that the vibration was gone so carried on car drove perfectly for the remaining 80 miles home.

In my garage I activated the A/C which was working perfectly.

So what caused the vibration, did I pick up a stone? And what was the strange chemical smell and green fluid expelled from the A /C compressor, aircon gas liquefying in contact with atmosphere?

Thoughts appreciated

Cheers :thumb:

Sounds like AC fluid. I changed my condencer etc when my AC went down and although it was just about empty, when I cracked open yhe system, bright, virtually luminous green fluid came out. It may be this colour so as to help identify leaks!

Green luminous liquid is definitely from the AC system - actually the lubricant mixed with the gas to stop the seals drying out and to trace for leaks under UV light.

Could it be the clutch bearing in the compressor that somehow is creating resistance against the fan causing the vibration?

Try running it stationary monitoring the compressor switchinhg in and out to see if you notice and strain on the belts/fan :dont know:

infrasilver said:
I'm not ophey with the air cooled engine bay but could AC gas/fluid of put liquid on the belt causing power steering belt to slip for a while. (ideas from a 996 mind)

Sounds plausible. Could explain the steering appearing to pull to one side and also the vibration only being temporary (until AC lubricant is thrown off the pulley/belt).

Thanks guys, sounds plausible, I'll get the compressor looked at.
It was working fine in the garage no further leakage and blowing out cold air strongly. Cutting in and out normally.
If a seal has dried out on the compressor is it repairable or am I looking at a new unit?
Cheers

Green fluid will be the 195 +- 15 ml ND8 compressor (and system) lubrication oil.

Power steering belt contamination sounds plausible.

The power steering belt is at the front of the engine and is a toothed belt under a metal cover - contamination from AC fluid/leak detector is v unlikely.

Not sure how you can really tell your AC is working in 5 deg C ambient? I'm guessing your compressor is hooped. The vibration came from the compressor putting a very uneven load on the engine.

phelix said:
The power steering belt is at the front of the engine and is a toothed belt under a metal cover - contamination from AC fluid/leak detector is v unlikely.

You are right, phelix.

I had a mental image in front of me of the 996/7 Turbo/GTx engine, with the PAS pump and reservoir at the rear end of the engine, roughly where the AC compressor is on the 993, and is driven by a polyrib belt, IIRC.

phelix said:

Not sure how you can really tell your AC is working in 5 deg C ambient? I'm guessing your compressor is hooped. The vibration came from the compressor putting a very uneven load on the engine.

I was running the A/C simply to lubricate the system, try to do it every couple of weeks in the winter. I could tell it was still working when I got home and tested it in my garage where the ambient temp is + 18.

Would vibration from the compressor really cause the car to pull right then start severe vibration through the steering wheel.

It's booked in at my OPC for the 10th I'll post when I know the outcome.
Cheers.

infrasilver said:
I'm not ophey with the air cooled engine bay but could AC gas/fluid of put liquid on the belt causing power steering belt to slip for a while. (ideas from a 996 mind)

I'd never realised that this term came from Ireland. :grin:

Sorry Chris. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back