Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery

Fokker

Silverstone
Went out to the car today and it barely started after standing for 8 days so took it for a 20 mile drive to charge it up a little and on stopping it at home and starting it again it failed completely so a 20 mile run made no difference.

Battery is Bosch with 5 yr warranty and is 1 year old. Last long run in the car was 2 weeks ago to North Wales 300 mile round trip so thought it would be ok for a little while?

What would be the probably cause? The battery meter on the dash is showing just below 12 indicated.

??

Cheers
Dave

If you don't use your car a lot you need a battery conditioner. I had Good batteries before that went dead in less than a year...

I had two Bosch S3s and they lasted a year each (I don't use my car much). I now have a Bosch S5 which seems much, much better!

I would invest in a battery conditioner as well. Particularly when you don't use your car much.

Cheers chaps. Ive used the car quite a lot this year - 7k miles in total so I thoughts it wouldn't have needed a conditioner?

I'll buy one anyway though, good thing the battery has a y year warranty on it! No warning lights on the dash so I assume its not the car in any way.

Can anyone recommend a battery charger and conditioner??

Dave

CTEK make the smart charger sold by Porsche OPC. I bought mine from The Ulitmate Finish Company. I think the OPC one is MX3.6 and I bought the next one up - the MX5.0. 3.6 is adequate I am reliably informed and is the one Porsche OPC's sell. If you buy it from oPC, it has a Porsche label and will cost about £25 - £30 more.

One comment about the voltage indicator - mine doesn't show 12V on the gauge on the dash. It shows 13-14. I'm sure someone will come along and clarify what it should be showing - but I think it should show more than 12.0V.

You will be aware after 5 days the car goes into stand-by mode to save battery power and needs to be unlocked with the key and the key inserted into the ignition within 10 seconds to prevent the alarm blowing.

I'd rrecommend the CTEK charger to be left permanently (as permanent as one can practically get) to keep the battery conditions. It is a smart charger an dwill not cook the battery. Read the instructions - there are various programmes including reconditioning the battery.

Fokker said:
Cheers chaps. Ive used the car quite a lot this year - 7k miles in total so I thoughts it wouldn't have needed a conditioner?

I'll buy one anyway though, good thing the battery has a y year warranty on it! No warning lights on the dash so I assume its not the car in any way.

Can anyone recommend a battery charger and conditioner??

Dave

The battery doesn't charge up extra if you do a really really long journey jut before you don't use it for 8 days.

I suspect you have a 75 or 80 Ah battery, and/or you have a Tracker.

A maintenance charger/conditioner is a good idea so you don't eventually need the battery conditioned (but if you did, it would help then too).

Lead acid batteries hate being run down.

Anyway, best buy is the CTEK (as already mentioned by others).

Porsche sell the MX3600/MXS3.6 rebranded as their own charger.

Get the CTEK version, or if only slightly more, push the boat out on the MXS5.0.

Great bits of kit (I have had one for four or five years now).

Have a google, check out Amazon and eBay for best prices.

If you don't have a need for OPC AUW, fit the permanent leads to the battery, and store the socket besides the wiper spindle/under bonnet overhang by scuttle for easy access).

OPC AUW doesn't allow ANY non-Porsche parts to be fixed to the car.

As GT4 suggests, I have the eyelet conectors (permanently) connected to the battery and tucked on the gap in the scuttle board and keep the CTEK unit with extension cable in the luggage area - but NOT connected to the battery. When I park up, it is a simple task of plugging in the CTEK charger to the mains and connecting it via the socket connector to the battery.

I went for the MX5.0 - slightly higher cost but will give more headroom if you ever need t use it in a vehicle with a higher amperage. My battery is Porsche original and from memory is 80aH. There is also a cigarette lighter connector - I did not buy it because the charger still needs a wire training out of the car to connect it to the mains. For the cigarette lighter connector to work, it must be live with the ignition key removed - pres the lighter and if it works it is live. If not, it means it needs the ignition key to be inserted and turned to make it work. On the Turbo it is a live feed. I do not know about your model.

A great bit of kit. So re-assuring to leave it connected for long periods and maintaining the battery.

Have a lookey here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=47741

port_2_272.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCGMS
Back