Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery

RGBArgee

Monza
Due to being away I haven't used my 21 Targa4S for 10 days. On trying to open with both keys absolutely nothing. Even the clock had stopped. The AA arrived promptly x2 eventually and tried emergency key. Still nothing. Eventually they removed panels underneath and got power to car to open doors and then managed to start with emergency battery pack.
I am advised by POC I need a battery trickle charger - cost £200 plus and hours Labour = £380. Surely this isn't normal ? What about leaving a car at an airport for 2 weeks holiday to return to a flat battery? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers RG

Not normal. I have left mine for 3 weeks with no trickle charge. Might be faulty battery or something draining it like the tracker

Slayer said:
Not normal. I have left mine for 3 weeks with no trickle charge. Might be faulty battery or something draining it like the tracker

Thanks both for your replies. I have ordered a trickle charger Porsche recommended for £51 new on EBay rather better than £380!! Will keep an eye on it.

A friend of mine has just got a 992T, left the car for about 10 days too, same thing :dont know:

He's currently driving around in a loaner Panamera whilst OPC change the battery/find the issue :roll:

:thumb:

There has been a lot of problems with the tracker/ immobiliser system on these draining the battery .. it depends on what type is fitted but one type tends to wake up control units does a check then goes back to sleep .

This happens too often basically .

OPC .. get them to put a ticket into Porsche or read the bulletins about these on PPN .. i'm not sure if there is as of yet a total fix as im out of the network but its not uncommon shall we say .

Trickle charger wont work at airport parking .. point that out perhaps .

10 days and a flat battery .. not very good is it .

I want to say how refreshing it is to see someone else experiencing the same issues but alas I know how frustrating this is.
I have a 992 C2S on a 20 plate delivered 1st March 20, some 14 days before the 1st national lock down. As you can imagine, the lack of use and stand still drained the battery many times. I called Porsche Assitance 4/5 times. The first time was extremely problematic as the AA tech didn't know where the jump tags to pop the bonnet where (apparently the drivers side foot well on previous models.
I took it back to Porsche and they stated the Immobiliser/Security was draining the battery- I left it with them and they executed a SW U/G - a few days later. the same thing, out with the AA to get me going and back to Porsche- This time they said because I only. left them one key and driver card the system defaulted to previous SW rev (hahaha). This has happened a further 3 or 4 times . Each time back to Porsche - Given the car has only down 3800 miles we estimated every 400 miles it needs a visit to the Service centre - As we speak, my 992 has been in with Guildford since Monday 7th Feb after being returned for a fault with the PSE and low and behold (it needed a service so they jumped on that without any hesitation). Now I am told they have put a tester on a for multiple hours to see what if any there was a parasitic drain but only some small 80mh peaks (nothing that would drain a 70ah battery in 48 hours) this has been escalated to PCGB last week and now PAG in Germany and raised as a complaint. All well and good but no root cause has been determined and I have experienced some very poor service - All that being I just want to enjoy my car. I am afraid a trickle charger will only mask the problem- They gave me some BS about it being in a secure Underground car park devoid of GSM and GPS that is causing the system to beacon out constantly and thus drain ......But that is just an excuse- I actual said then that the car needs to join the home wifi as a gateway of last resort if it needs to talk to Porsche and Vodafone but that facility has not been built in to the system which is a big shame . So some two weeks nearly and no further down the road - If I get some qualified root cause so others know I post

As the car is still in warranty then don't go down the Trickle charger route .. that's for when you don't have a warranty ... charger will obviously stop any issues if parked at home .. and it will get them out of the warranty period .

The issue seems to be the tracker system .. it wakes up periodically to check then should go back to sleep .. this is one of the main issues but it appears that there still isn't a fix .

You are certainly not alone with this fault and even OPC,s are pulling their hair out in frustration but there is very little they can do until Porsche comes up with a fix .

Just following on from yesterdays post- My C2S has been upgraded with PAG as a CAT A escalation . I understand this is the highest category which comes with all sorts of implications- Still no fix found and I have leant today that my C2S is a Model M, but a SW fix for Model L is available - Leaning all the time here

deMort said:
There has been a lot of problems with the tracker/ immobiliser system on these draining the battery .. it depends on what type is fitted but one type tends to wake up control units does a check then goes back to sleep .

This happens too often basically .

OPC .. get them to put a ticket into Porsche or read the bulletins about these on PPN .. i'm not sure if there is as of yet a total fix as im out of the network but its not uncommon shall we say .

Trickle charger wont work at airport parking .. point that out perhaps .

10 days and a flat battery .. not very good is it .

You're on the money here. I took delivery of a brand new 992 Turbo S
which ran fine for three months, during that period I never left it on
the trickle charger because I was running it in. Drove it to the Ring with
the usual crowd for the Autumn DN trip, drove it back...no issues. Then
a week later the problems started, manifesting itself in the car alarm
going off whilst I was showering at 11.00pm !. No matter what I did
the alarm wouldn't switch off...so I ended up removing a battery from
my daughters Aygo at midnight outside in the pouring rain ...in order
to facilitate getting power to the front bonnet switch. Called out the
AA who used a battery pack to get the car started the following early
morning.
Ran the car for a bit, left it on a trickle charge...following morning flat
battery again. This time I called my OPC who sent out a pair of drivers
with a battery pack...they took the car away and returned it two days
later fully charged.
A week later, I had the whole exact same experience again...including
removing the effing battery from the Aygo and sticking it back in again
afterwards !. By now Porsche were admitting that the 992 model
has a battery issue linked with the tracker.....🙄. Tbh, the wonderful
Turbo S experience started waning pretty fast.

First off can i just say .. if you have a 992 that is having battery issues then get one of these or something similar .. its not cheap but you will thank god if you need to use it ..

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...-gb150-3000a-jump-starter-460030.html?cm_mmc=

You can use it to open the bonnet then use it to jump start the car .. obviously be VERY careful jump starting and confirm the leads are connected correctly !!!

I have something similar for my bike but a small version .

Any new model comes with issues .. Porsche do their best to identify everything in testing but the real world often throws up many issues they had not considered ..

I started on porsches in 2004 so i have seen many new models released and each one has had initial issues .. as they have got newer then there have been more with each model and the fix times have increased ..

The 992 is hugely complicated with an awful lot of computers and software ..

That's the issue these days .. software .. mechanics don't know about it as never taught so they rely on Porsche via the ticket system .. that goes to Germany were they mull it over for a while .. figure things out and try and come up with a fix .

I have no idea what its like these days as i'm out of the network but i well remember talking to the R&D guys years ago and their department was underfunded back then .

They flew to the UK for a Cayenne issue .. to our garage .. they had to stay in the cheapest hotel possible .. budget string it really was poor sods .

But that was then and i digress .

Software is the issue but it takes time to track it down and unfortunately you need to wait .. and have a jump pack for now !

Options .. back the car .. never buy a Porsche again .. buy some other model then find out it's not just Porsche that have issues and you are back to square one .

I'm afraid all new cars have issues to a degree .. all cars do over time and it's not just Porsche .

I'm not being cynical or rude .. its just how it is from my perspective im afraid and so i try to explain the situation .

I've figured out a basic understanding of the issues but i can't offer a solution or even comment too much on this sort of thing these days .. to be honest i have to be careful of what i post .. can't comment on that though but there is a reason no Porsche guys come on forums !

Well my Targa 4S is now with OPC in Bristol... apparently this is a common problem and likely to be related to the earth strap. PORSCHE ARE AWARE .

Feeling a bit annoyed as Targa missed a trip to France last week and took wife's TTS which suffered a wind damage scratch on bonnet (PPF ON TARGA) and kerbed alloy ( insured on Targa) plus having to buy and fit a trickle charger unnecessarily!!! Probably £400 worth although I will have kept the mileage down on the Targa!!

Frustrating or what !!!

RGBArgee said:
Well my Targa 4S is now with OPC in Bristol... apparently this is a common problem and likely to be related to the earth strap. PORSCHE ARE AWARE .

Feeling a bit annoyed as Targa missed a trip to France last week and took wife's TTS which suffered a wind damage scratch on bonnet (PPF ON TARGA) and kerbed alloy ( insured on Targa) plus having to buy and fit a trickle charger unnecessarily!!! Probably £400 worth although I will have kept the mileage down on the Targa!!

5 weeks ago my car was with OPC for nearly a week. Updated software to stop battery draining and now its doing it again... Went on a 35 mile run and left the car garaged for 4 days and went to start... door handles failed to extend properly and on starting the car Low battery warning again ... to cap it all OPC signets if I want a Loan car June 8 is the earliest they can do. Is this normal service???

I can only sympathise, its definitely not good enough.

As others have said and as we find out more on the problem hopefully the OPC's will have a suitable solution. Below are all common areas of concern:

* Software Updates
* Earth Strap replacements
* Tracker immobilised / Tracker fobs signal / data checking with car

At present an OPC will check the battery voltage and complete a drain test and if it passes they move you on and advise buy a charger. If the battery fails ( as its been depleted too many times and too deeply ) its a replacement battery. But the actual route course of the issue remains.

Although not a solution, something like the attached will atleast enable you to remote view the battery state and more importantly monitor the state of drain so that you are better prepared to charge it. It will also provide data for an OPC should you continue to have problems. These are bluetooth so range is limited to a few metres but atleast you do not need to unlock the car to see the state of charge and can have some confidence that the car will start.

I have fitted these to all of my cars so not only do I have a reference point for the Porsche I can compare it across others for a broader comparison.

My battery for example in the Porsche has dropped 20% state of charge in a week, but remained over the critical 12V voltage point. Compared with another car which only lost 10% in the same period.

My guess its still Tracker related. One theory I have is around the Tracker fobs and where these are physically kept. Irrelevant of whether the Tracker subscription is valid or not. Some people just keep the fobs in the car or very close to it. I am going to try placing them into a faraday pouch well away from a car. As when I did some very un scientific testing for a day or two the battery drain appeared to be far less. But will test further and report.

In the meantime....

CTEK Battery Sense 40-149 - Monitors the Status of Car Batteries https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0188TGF6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VDSQ9ECZQHPQTCPAWDNA?psc=1

Jungle

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back