Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

fitting sat-nav to a 993

tim993

I want to fit a sat-nav / hifi to my 993 Turbo, in place of the old Sony unit that came with the car. Also, to dispense with the CD changer that takes too big a chunk out of the tiny boot space.

My preference would be a unit with a retracting screen for the sat-nav, but given the way a 993 dash is set out, is this possible?

Any advice is gratefully recieved

all the best

tim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72902

many thanks for pointing me at that. i wondered if there was a sat-nav where the screen slid out and down, istead of up, as i see your point, there is no space above, where you need it. I'm so used to a nice big screen in the M3, but i guess i could get used to a small size screen...

anyhow, i'm off to see an expert on these things on Saturday and will let you know what he comes up with,

tim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73091

I went to see the people at Audio Design in Kingston upon Thames. They likewise rulled out a flip sat-nav (without major dashboard surgery...). Options were to either fit a single DIN unit as suggested by Sundeep (Becker, or Alpine, both strongly recommended) or they can build a pod above the centre air vents to take a small size screen (trimmed to match) with the navi-unit hidden in the boot. Whilst the quality of their work looks excellent, I'm not sure i want to alter the purity of the cars dash-board, so probably the first option is best.

tim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73404

I have a Sony badged Becker unit that works really well. An alternative is to get a Pocket PC phone and use something like Co-Pilot, also very good.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73405

I have a Becker Indianapolis which I had fitted to my 993 2 years ago.I have found this unit very good.I don't think you really need the map type views as these are distracting.With the above unit all you need is a quick glance.You can also have an i-pod connected and dispense with any cd changer nonsense.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73539

Becker all day OEM!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73549

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back