Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting OEM Engine Mounts for 996 TT to 996.2 GT3

ColinR

Hello

Engine mounts are a topic that comes up from time but I can't see that this question has come up yet.

I received a quote of around £1000 from my local dealer for a pair of replacement engine mounts for my 996.2 gt3. This is about 2x what I expected.

I am exploring alternative solutions that does not take me down a track focused route. My preference is OEM.

I have noticed the TT mounts are more like what I would expect to pay and given the performace of that car and the extra weight of the turbo I figured it could be an alternative OEM solution. The diagrams I can find suggest that they could fit but I would like some reassurance before buying.

So, has anyone else looked at this? Is it a crazy idea?

Thanks in advance

I have a 996.2 GT3 CS. I sourced a pair of RSS engine mounts from Design911 and got them fitted at Autofarm when last in for a service. Can't say I notice much difference from the previous OEM mounts on the road and not had the opportunity to see if they make any difference on track.

You can fit 964 RS engine mounts. There is a thread on 6speed detailing what is needed for the fitment.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/255433-rs-motor-mounts-diy-w-pics-part-nos.html

The 964 mounts are a rubber mount, apposed to the std fluid filled on 996. The RS versions stiffer than the normal rubber version.

I did the swap on my Carrera and it was a good upgrade that didnt give a huge increase in NVH, but helped make the gearshift nicer.

Its an easy enough DIY fit if you have the tools.

I'm running the 964RS on my 986, the shift on the 997 GT3 shifter in there is a thing of beauty.

Feels a bit rougher in the car when you first start her up, soon as you're going I don't notice anymore NVH.

Gooner said:
I have a 996.2 GT3 CS. I sourced a pair of RSS engine mounts from Design911 and got them fitted at Autofarm when last in for a service. Can't say I notice much difference from the previous OEM mounts on the road and not had the opportunity to see if they make any difference on track.

Thanks for the insight especially that you have not noticed much difference (I hope in a good way) when on the road from the OEM. I have been slightly turned off the RSS mounts by some reviews that talked additional vibration as a trade off for better gear change and balance in the car when on track.

pye21 said:
You can fit 964 RS engine mounts. There is a thread on 6speed detailing what is needed for the fitment.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/255433-rs-motor-mounts-diy-w-pics-part-nos.html

The 964 mounts are a rubber mount, apposed to the std fluid filled on 996. The RS versions stiffer than the normal rubber version.

I did the swap on my Carrera and it was a good upgrade that didnt give a huge increase in NVH, but helped make the gearshift nicer.

Its an easy enough DIY fit if you have the tools.

I have been thinking about the 964 RS mounts as an alternative - thanks for the link. I still am wondering if the TT mounts would work though as I suspect they could give all the precision I need on the road without compromising on vibration.

I had the RSS semi solid mounts fitted years ago, and I'm struggling to think of any negatives. Maybe a touch more NVH but negligible. Car turns better (the backend definitely feels less sloppy than it did with the OEM mounts). It depends how you drive the car, yes you will notice the improvement in a most positive way on track, but if you drive fast road then you'll notice it there too. If you're just cruising up and down the kings road then not so much. It depends on how well you know your car too, if not that well then you're probably unlikely to notice much difference before and after I'd say. However having said that if the OEM feel is important to you, then that's what you should go for.

Thanks Roro for your comments and thoughts. I only drive on the road so probably at 5/10ths of the car's capability (keeping it legal) so I am not trying to seek out extra performance (as such). The mounts are the original pair and whilst I would like OEM, the price tag is crazy (to my mind). The TT with the same basic engine I am exploring if it's mounts would do the job.

However, no one has said they have tried this set-up so I am guessing it either can't be done or (as it's not a performance upgrade) its not been interesting for anyone to explore.

I will give the whole thing some further thought

many thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back