Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitment issues with Top Gear catted 200 cell x-pipe.

thefleshrocket

One of the factory cats on my 46K-mile '02 Carrera cabrio started rattling. I settled on a Top Gear x-pipe with 200-cell cats. https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91..._type=exhausts (I already have the Top Gear loud sports mufflers and was pleased with the sound, quality, and price.) Unfortunately, they were initially out of stock on the Top Gear website and I couldn't find any US-based vendors that had any in stock, so I ended up waiting. Then a couple weeks ago, the Top Gear website indicated that they had 20 in stock, so I ordered.

The x-pipe arrived last week and I dug in this weekend. I got the existing mufflers and cats removed, but when I tried to test-fit the x-pipe, I found that the cats would touch the heat shield above them, even without having the bolts to the headers tightened. My 996 has Torque Solution semi-solid motor mounts, which raised the engine slightly. I switched back to the factory motor mounts, which were actually still in good shape, but that didn't lower the enough engine to make a difference--the cats still touch the heat shield.

I emailed Top Gear and got the following reply:

"I showed this to our techs and they advised as follows- "Looks to us like the engine is still sitting too high.

The flanges will pull in once the bolts are fully tightened we are sure"

We do sell hundreds of this part and they are direct fit to all 911's.
Best Wishes,
Alexander Kilcoyne
Director
Top Gear (Bridport) Limited "

I replied:

"Thanks for the quick reply. I don't understand.. how can the engine still be too high if I'm using the stock motor mounts. I don't know how I can lower it any more. I didn't have any clearance problems with the Torque Solution motor mounts and the stock crossover pipes and catalytic converters.

Since this x pipe is from a new batch (the Top Gear website was out of stock on this part until recently), is it possible that something went wrong with the new batch?

Thanks!"

That was two nights ago--I was hoping for a reply to be sitting in my inbox this morning, but no. (Top Gear is in the UK and I'm in the US, so the time differential is an issue.) What do you guys think? The Top Gear website now indicates that there are 18 in stock, not 20--presumably the two that have been sold are myself and one other person.

Attachments

• 254630040_4603173123074220_4656108292184207905_n_102.jpg
    254630040_4603173123074220_4656108292184207905_n_102.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 2,996
  • 256046912_4603173396407526_4827321871357435723_n_565.jpg
    256046912_4603173396407526_4827321871357435723_n_565.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,996
  • 255019438_4603173196407546_3529672806060263170_n_214.jpg
    255019438_4603173196407546_3529672806060263170_n_214.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,996
  • 257148727_4603173099740889_3381260678165115847_n_158.jpg
    257148727_4603173099740889_3381260678165115847_n_158.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 2,996
Tbf there isn't that much torque on those flange nuts, not sure it will pull in will be close. Are your engine mounts in sitting correctly?

Maybe just loosening off and mark/measure the pipe that goes into the muffler, might be slightly over to oneside. Or put the manifold side on first 👍

Mine did sit high in the bumper, that's normal

Ive used topgear afew times and there fitment Is normally excellent 👍

My mate Craig had a load of grief with his Topgear stuff. It was sorted out in a fashion but it was all a bit Heath Robinson.

Oh yeah, so my point is they do sell hundreds but they do get them wrong sometimes too.

Interested how you get on with this. Precision are currently changing my manifolds and replacing the studs. I have opted for Top Gear manifolds only at this stage, but was tempted by the 200cell X-pipe too, but decided against them at the moment on the basis I can change them myself later relatively easily.

I was on the cusp of ordering this cat replacement and and Miltek silencers for my C2 but will wait to see if there is a good resolution to this.

I don't recall any real issues when fitting my system (Topgear manifolds and 63mm 200 cell x-pipe cats), hoping you get a satisfactory outcome :thumb:

Attachments

• 20200713_075924_816x612_847.jpg
    20200713_075924_816x612_847.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,825
No reply from Top Gear aside from the first reply, which I got right after I sent my first email. I've since sent four or five emails, including one where I sent pics of the x-pipe with the bolts tightened up, where it can be seen pushing up against the heat shield.

If I don't hear back from them soon, I'm going to file a dispute with my credit card and go shopping for an x-pipe from another manufacturer. A shame, because I have the Top Gear loud sports mufflers and like them.

jezgreen911 said:
I don't recall any real issues when fitting my system (Topgear manifolds and 63mm 200 cell x-pipe cats), hoping you get a satisfactory outcome :thumb:

Do you have clearance between the top of the cats and the heat shield that's right above them? Would you mind trying to take a picture of it, if possible?

Just got a reply from Alexander at Top Gear:

"Sorry for the late reply. We have some of the previous batch we have compared it to on our jigs, and in addition we have sold others from the same batch without issue."

So, I'm stuck. I don't know how it can be something "wrong" with my car when it's all stock and the factory cats fit perfectly, but Top Gear insists it's not them.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

thefleshrocket said:
jezgreen911 said:

Do you have clearance between the top of the cats and the heat shield that's right above them? Would you mind trying to take a picture of it, if possible?

I will be raising the car up for some suspension work so I can take a look then, it might not be for a week or two though

jezgreen911 said:
thefleshrocket said:
jezgreen911 said:

I will be raising the car up for some suspension work so I can take a look then, it might not be for a week or two though

Great, thanks! The whole reason I avoided the 63mm x-pipe was because I read that it could be more prone to CELs than the stock-diameter pipe. Have you had any issues with CELs?

thefleshrocket said:
jezgreen911 said:
thefleshrocket said:
jezgreen911 said:

Great, thanks! The whole reason I avoided the 63mm x-pipe was because I read that it could be more prone to CELs than the stock-diameter pipe. Have you had any issues with CELs?

No CEL's :thumb:

Working through this issue logically ..

Top Gear seem sure the exhaust is correct so it's not that ..

The engine mounts are standard so of no issue with the height of the engine .. it's not that ..

I'm going to assume you have had a good look at the bumper fixings , pu and heat cowling .. they are all as per factory and not sitting low ? We will go with it's not that ..

What we are left with is the exhaust manifolds .. there must be some issue with the angle of the flanges or angle of the pipe just before them as there is nothing left that could cause this .

deMort said:
Working through this issue logically ..
Top Gear seem sure the exhaust is correct so it's not that ..
The engine mounts are standard so of no issue with the height of the engine .. it's not that ..
I'm going to assume you have had a good look at the bumper fixings , pu and heat cowling .. they are all as per factory and not sitting low ? We will go with it's not that ..
What we are left with is the exhaust manifolds .. there must be some issue with the angle of the flanges or angle of the pipe just before them as there is nothing left that could cause this .

Everything fit together perfectly with the stock manifolds and stock cats. Plenty of clearance around the stock cats--they were not close to rubbing up against the heat shields.

To be fair, Top Gear hasn't actually test-fitted one of the new batch of x-pipes to a 911, they've "compared it to on our jigs".

WAIT.. I just had a "light bulb" moment. What if they used different sized catalytic converters this time? That would cause everything to still line up properly on the jigs but could cause clearance issues around the cats.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back