Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Drive

Grum

Well-known member
Joined
7 Mar 2012
Messages
455
Tried a couple of 993 Tips last year and realy enjoyed my first experience of Porche 911 driving. These test drives cemented my resolve to buy the 993 variant above the 996. Latest update.......... have just had my first drive of a manual 993 and have been completely blown away! :yes: Had not been too concerned over the choice of tip v manual before but now there is no contest. Has to be manual all the way for me now in my search. The noise going up and down the box is amazing. I just loved heel and toeing down the box at roundabouts and aproaches to corners. I had goose pimples for hours afterwards. Totally sold. Just need to find the right car..............hopefully tomorrow :wink:
 
Grum said:
Tried a couple of 993 Tips last year and realy enjoyed my first experience of Porche 911 driving. These test drives cemented my resolve to buy the 993 variant above the 996. Latest update.......... have just had my first drive of a manual 993 and have been completely blown away! :yes: Had not been too concerned over the choice of tip v manual before but now there is no contest. Has to be manual all the way for me now in my search. The noise going up and down the box is amazing. I just loved heel and toeing down the box at roundabouts and aproaches to corners. I had goose pimples for hours afterwards. Totally sold. Just need to find the right car..............hopefully tomorrow :wink:

All the best, keep us all posted on your search :thumb:
P.S It has to be manual :grin:
 
Looking forward to hearing your progress.
 
Wasn't planning on taking mine out today but I think I might just try to find the time now. 5 years on and the charm of the car hasn't remotely faded.

Good luck :thumb:
 
Good luck Grum, fingers xxd you find a nice one.

I know what you mean Schwarz, chance came around to take mine out for a blast yesterday, first time it's moved since early December. Fired up first time, settled down nicely, warmed her up for 20 mins then gave it some beans ... Happy days :D

Also first real play I've had since fitting RS SSK, no issues finding gears when cold and a great bit of kit, so much more connected than the "comfort" set up.

Anyway it's parked up back indoors now probably until my jaunt to Precision the middle next month, can't wait.
 
Good luck with te search Grum!

Loved driving mine this weekend too. Glad you like the RS SSK Numbercruncher. Love the direct feel of the shift and I've also had no difficulty engaging gears when cold.
 
Had a good look at a C2 today. Should I worry about this?
 

Attachments

  • rust_bubbles_167.jpg
    rust_bubbles_167.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,704
Grum said:
Had a good look at a C2 today. Should I worry about this?

Pretty common and not necessarily enough to put me off a car, BUT that looks like it has a new seal and has been repaired before.

If its been done recently, it wasn't done too well.
 
Here is a shot of the drivers side and another of the passenger side with flash. Does the passenger side definately look like a previous repair as it did not strike me when I looked today. Can anyone tell if this is a genuine widscreen or a generic replacement from the passenger side shot?
 

Attachments

  • bubbles_2_989.jpg
    bubbles_2_989.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,686
Oops, 2nd foto.
 

Attachments

  • bubbles_3_497.jpg
    bubbles_3_497.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 2,684
That does not look bad at all. You need to lift up the screen rubber to examine underneath - the outer rubber slots into an inner one.

If like others on here you develop OCD the likelihood is you'll check the weather report before you take the car out and as such unlikely it will get any worse.
 
Zingari said:
That does not look bad at all. You need to lift up the screen rubber to examine underneath - the outer rubber slots into an inner one.

If like others on here you develop OCD the likelihood is you'll check the weather report before you take the car out and as such unlikely it will get any worse.

Hi Zing, not mine (yet). This is one I am (very) interested in. Lifted the rubbers, as recommended in this venerable forum, nothing evident. The only "blemishes" in the paint appear to be where I have shown in the photographs, i.e outside of the screen rubber. The current owner seems to be amenable to a reduction in the asking price, we seem to be about £300 apart though.
 
That blemish looks very peculiar , I've not seen anything like that before (in my limited experience.)
Is it a paint blemish or rust coming thru from underneath?
I would have thought that the area under the seal close to this. Would show rust , but you say not .. Head scratch!
Anyhow , I wouldn't look on that as a deal breaker , especially if the seller is willing to reduce. It may never develop further , and if it does , it wouldn't be the biggest job ever ...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
123,985
Messages
1,435,985
Members
48,357
Latest member
dirtyrdier00
Back
Top