Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Farside door not closing correctly

Fulla

Evening all. I have noticed recently that the passenger door doesn't close properly unless given a hard shove.
It's not the engine cover pull fouling it but i suspect the actual locking mechanism.
Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you cure it? My plan a was a spray of wd40 tomorrow in daylight.
Thanks for any suggestions.

It maybe it just needs freeing up, use wd40 as a start but make sure you put some proper oil on it at some point.
If its not just lack of lubrication to the lock mechanism, then its probably the striker plate on the door opening that needs adjusting slightly

Sorted thanks for the tips.
It was the actual part on the door that was stiff due to no lubrication. So WD40 then some pushbike oil that is water resistant did the job! No more wincing when the door has to be slammed.

Hi

You can use a graphite powder on locking mechanisms, that stuff does not dry out.

Berni

Must be that time of year. Both of my doors are quite bad. I'm gonna nip outside with a box of tissues and some lube. Will report back.
Think the only grease I've got is some Molyslip ADF and Nickelslip. More anti-seize than lube, but I'll give them a go as it's all I've got at the mo.

Right, that was bloody freezing. Where's my heated garage? Can hardly feel my fingers.

Fulla, what bit did you actually grease? I cleaned the striker plate on the body and then cleaned the old grease from the actual mechanism that moves on the door itself. If I squeeze the door handle and rotate the lock with my hand it moves freely. If I release the handle and then rotate the lock it is quite stiff. I can't see a way to lubricate the mechanism itself so I'm guessing it's a door panel off job?

My doors close absolutely fine with very little effort if the sunroof is open or the windows are cracked open a tad. I guess the extremely good seal doesn't help?

S

sram said:
I'm gonna nip outside with a box of tissues and some lube. Will report back.

Not dogging again I hope :hand:

Zingari said:
sram said:
I'm gonna nip outside with a box of tissues and some lube. Will report back.

Not dogging again I hope :hand:

Not for a couple of weeks yet, poor old dog ripped his leg open at the weekend and turning up at "that" carpark without him will look suspicious....

sram said:
Right, that was bloody freezing. Where's my heated garage? Can hardly feel my fingers.

cleaned the old grease from the actual mechanism that moves on the door itself. If I squeeze the door handle and rotate the lock with my hand it moves freely.

Thats the bit I did. WD40 sprayed librally to give it plenty. Then got to work with my hand vigoursly moving it back and fourth....then clenaed all the residue off with some old hag, I mean rag. Once this was done I used some bicycle oil that is thick and water repellant. Back the the handjob and et violin (thats the only french this essex boy knows) it now works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chimp
Back