Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fan belt warning system

clinchy993

Something for you 993 nutters to check out

The fan belt warning system has a pulley that runs against the inner most belt ,so if it snaps you have a red light on the dash that come on to warn you of belt failure

But beware that jockey wheel is 2 part, an outer plastic wheel in an inner smaller bearing

In my photo you can see the plastic wheel has completely gone !! and is destroying the belt very quickly, no warning lights will come on because the belt has not failed yet

This is what it should look like

beltroller21065059249.jpg

I know what I will be doing next week A big thank to OPC Byfleet for pointing it out

Also worth noting that the bearing often seizes, causing the jockey wheel to wear away the belt - ironic that the belt-fail sensor can actually cause belt failure.

I've put a small dab of yellow paint on the face of my jockey wheel so that I can see it turning...

I think mine is just metal, like yours, but it's very difficult to judge.

I'll order a new one anyway. :grin:

Thanks clinchy, I'll be checking that this afternoon.

I had an embarrassing situation last year as my belt snapped :eek: on my way to Donington to watch my mate in the VWCup :x

Arrived at the circuit on the back of a vehicle recovery lorry. :oops:

It was a Sunday so no garages open to change my belt but there were many kind mechanics at Donington that were only too happy to assist :mrgreen:

According to P-car,

On all 993s prior to 1997 the fan belt roller part number is 964 106 035 07, after 1997 an updated roller part number 993 106 035 00 was introduced.

Before we all panic, isn't it possible that the plastic-wheel-type superceeds the metal type?

orangecurry said:
According to P-car,

On all 993s prior to 1997 the fan belt roller part number is 964 106 035 07, after 1997 an updated roller part number 993 106 035 00 was introduced.

Before we all panic, isn't it possible that the plastic-wheel-type superceeds the metal type?

Mine did have a plastic bit the last time I looked :floor: Not any more

Just checked the '64 - Mines plastic :dont know: :thumb:

What I don't understand is why the warning light doesn't operate when the plastic-outer isn't there anymore.... the 'arm' should have moved enough to trigger the warning as the circumference has reduced.

The implication is that the damn thing never does it's job anyway.

orangecurry said:
What I don't understand is why the warning light doesn't operate when the plastic-outer isn't there anymore.... the 'arm' should have moved enough to trigger the warning as the circumference has reduced.

The implication is that the damn thing never does it's job anyway.

You are spot on the dam belt has to snap for light to come on ,so no tension = light on

I am just hoping the belt holds out till after next Saturday I have the time to do the sensor but not change the belts

Might see if the Byfleet boys will do me a deal :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back