Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust rattle - valve?

jwb1380

Trainee
Folks,
Valve has sheered off, why does this happen? Help appreciated...

JB

Attachments

• screen_shot_2021_04_25_at_191729_152.png
    screen_shot_2021_04_25_at_191729_152.png
    939.3 KB · Views: 696
I fixed this exact problem yesterday! The fixing nuts rust and completely disintegrate and then if the ball joint seizes (very common) the force sheers them off.

You can buy a replacement valve but mine was still functional so decided to fix it by grinding the remaining fixings flat, carefully drill 3 new holes into the valve and then pot rivet the surround to the valve with 3 flat head 5mm stainless steel bolts sandwiched between. I wish I took a photo as it's a lot easier than trying to describe that!

Even though I fixed mine I still left the actuator unplugged in the engine bay as I prefer the exhaust loud all the time

Forgot to add...

To remove the ball joint there is a small pin with clip around the shaft. Using a small screwdriver lever the round clip off the shaft and then the pin slides out

badbadtz said:
Forgot to add...

To remove the ball joint there is a small pin with clip around the shaft. Using a small screwdriver lever the round clip off the shaft and then the pin slides out

BBTZ,
Cheers for the feedback. Just ordered a new one today, good effort fixing yours. I have my valves open pretty much all the time also.

Thx,
JB

The pipe is attached using using an oetiker style ring clip so it's handy to have the pliers to crimp it again once you take it off.

I would also recommend packing the ball joint on both sides with an anti-seize or high temp grease to stop it happening again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z102B
Back