Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust issues? Check engine light

kench

Montreal
Hi there,

I got a CEL (Check Engine Light) came on yesterday, it came up with 'B0120 Exhaust Gas Temp Sen...." - 'No Communication or signal". I cant find this temperature sensor on the parts catalogue at all, what does this mean?

I have also had a P0420 error (Cat efficiency Bank 1) before hand and have checked the O2 readings from the sensor downstream of the cat and it states -50.

I have checked the 997 parts catalogue and have found that there are only two O2 sensors on Bank 1 (item 32, 33). Why aren't there any O2 sensors on Bank 2? (Or is it just not shown on the diagram?)
Is changing the O2 sensors a DIY job on the 997 turbo?

Now booked into the garage, hopefully it wouldn't be too costly.

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• capture_210.jpg
    capture_210.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,813
Kench, What condition are you coil packs in? Have a look under to see and if corroded etc this may be your issue. :thumb:

Had a quick look under the car today, seems like there is a lambda sensor on both banks, strange how the diagram doesn't show both banks.

kench said:
Had a quick look under the car today, seems like there is a lambda sensor on both banks, strange how the diagram doesn't show both banks.

Mirrored items are sometimes just shown for one side of the car to reduce clutter in the figures. The quantity of each listed part per car is shown in the parts lists relating directly to the figures.

Red993C4 said:
kench said:

Mirrored items are sometimes just shown for one side of the car to reduce clutter in the figures. The quantity of each listed part per car is shown in the parts lists relating directly to the figures.

Cheers, it seems pretty obvious now. Was just comparing the same diagram but for the 996 carrera with a colleague who owns one, and it shows both.

Been googling the 'B0120 Exhaust Gas Temp Sen...." fault code for ages now and have come up with nothing

Anyone?

I will email my contact at OPC once I'm in work and see what he can find out for you bud.

Email sent. He is normally quite good in speed of reply.
:thumb:

Thank you very much.

My opc will not tell me anything unless I book it in for diagnosis.

Thanks again

Ok. OPC have got back. The code isn't coming up on there system :?: He has advised though that it could be The Cat Oxygen Sensor. Can you confirm the code is B, zero, 12, zero.
He has said if you are local to OPC Wilmslow Cheshire he will pop it on the machine for you and advise what it is, I'd assume for free as he is a genuine guy who gets a bottle of scotch off me every Christmas :wink:

I've also contacted a good friend who has a Snap On scanner tool; awaiting his answer.

Kench is the car running rough my friend is asking????

michelin said:
Ok. OPC have got back. The code isn't coming up on there system :?: He has advised though that it could be The Cat Oxygen Sensor. Can you confirm the code is B, zero, 12, zero.
He has said if you are local to OPC Wilmslow Cheshire he will pop it on the machine for you and advise what it is, I'd assume for free as he is a genuine guy who gets a bottle of scotch off me every Christmas :wink:

I've also contacted a good friend who has a Snap On scanner tool; awaiting his answer.

Yeah it is B zero 12 zero. Weird one....

I am no where need cheshire :( Am based up in scotland.

michelin said:
Kench is the car running rough my friend is asking????

Nope, running pretty smooth actually, although the fuel consumption has gone up the roof! (used to get 25mpg+ around town, now getting 12-15mpg)

Suspect it is the front lambda sensor.

Ok will reply with your findings and advise later.
A 'B' code indicates body electrics as per my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back