Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exh manifold to catalyst composite gaskets

Paynewright

Montreal
Anyone know a source for the composite gaskets between OEM exhaust manifold and catalyst pipes. I have new metal shim type but dont think it will absorb the ravages of time. Manifold to head composite gaskets are readily available but not the three bolt catalyst seals.

Cheersl

Top gear maybe able to supply?

They come Inc with their manifolds etc

Thanks James.

I did check their website to see if gaskets listed as 'sundries' but they are not. Also the gasket shape seems to match their own manifolds / cats rather than the OEM shape. I will bear them in mind.

I found some 57mm bore gaskets on ebay with 74mm eye to eye bolt spacing along with a fire ring. I'll report back on fitment!

Gasket arrived from turbo rebuild UK and it is a perfect fit! 57 mm bore reinforced 3 bolt with fire ring - £7.80 for two incl delivery.

I spent hours looking for these on google as very few have the fixing hole spacing dimension. The mating faces on the manifold and cat are good but not perfect so thought these would be better than the flat shim type gasket.

Attachments

• 850fd2b5_aec2_43b1_b407_94690ea93a32_970.jpeg
    850fd2b5_aec2_43b1_b407_94690ea93a32_970.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 843
They look very decent and v good price. Do you have a link to website or are they from eBay?

Cheers

Www.turborebuild.co.uk or turborebuild-co-uk on ebay.

I ordered via ebay as its usually quicker than filling in the 'guest' details or setting up an account on the vendors own website.

Arrived really quickly.

Got the equivalent manifold gaskets from design911 along with some other bits and pieces - again super fast delivery and well packaged.

Ian

Torquing up with the composite manifold gaskets didn't feel right at the normal OEM bolt setting. I was doing in small increments from middle to ends a bit like torquing a head down. The nuts on the studs seemed to turn and turn without clicking off. I expect the gasket was compressing, so I stopped and backed off.

I got out a couple of old Haynes manuals for cars that had traditional exhaust manifold gaskets and the torque setting was 15-18 ft lbs so I used this and they clicked off OK and felt tight.

I'll re-check after a few heat cycles.

Flange bolts on the cat / manifold join I just wanged up tight with two 13mm spanners.

Thanks for the info, have ordered a pair for mine as its started to blow.

Out of interest, did you replace the studs for bolts and if so what did you use? My original studs have disintegrated which appears to be a common feature!

Mine had already had nuts & bolts put in when I got it but I've put new ones in. Apparently the originals are splined studs that are pulled in when tightened up. They shouldnt be hammered out as that risks shattering the catalyst (I've read) and drilling is hard work albeit less precision required than the manifold bolts. I used flanged bolts and locknuts (not the nylon variety, they are sort of pinched where the bolt exits)

Paynewright said:
Mine had already had nuts & bolts put in when I got it but I've put new ones in. Apparently the originals are splined studs that are pulled in when tightened up. They shouldnt be hammered out as that risks shattering the catalyst (I've read) and drilling is hard work albeit less precision required than the manifold bolts. I used flanged bolts and locknuts (not the nylon variety, they are sort of pinched where the bolt exits)

I've read a couple of posts about people pressing them out with a vice which sounds the most favourable option to me. Were your nuts & bolts stainless do you know?

I read that one chap on Facebook used his rotary stop SDS drill to "hammer" them out but given comments up thread about damaging the CAT it might be too risky.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back