Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Excuses for Speeding on Sky

It's a shame that people have to be so dumbed down when it's quality of driving / inappropriate speed for the circumstances which is so much to blame rather than just speed of vehicle.

Oh, and the word "safety" in from of "camera" just makes me want to throw up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21205

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by James Jameson on 02 December 2004

It's a shame that people have to be so dumbed down when it's quality of driving / inappropriate speed for the circumstances which is so much to blame rather than just speed of vehicle.Oh, and the word "safety" in from of "camera" just makes me want to throw up.

Yep, ‘safety’ camera makes me sick too.
They only pull in £60 a go for one type of safety issue and do nothing for drunk driving,
reckless driving, dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, driving without Insurance, etc. etc.

Whoever thought of calling them safety cameras though is a genius.
It’s very hard to argue against them without condoning speeding which negates your argument really.

I like the argument that if a ‘safety’ camera is catching speeding motorists then it is not working as a deterrent and not helping to make the road safer, therefore it has failed in it’s purpose.
The only successful ‘safety’ cameras would not collect any revenue and would therefore be uneconomical.
Not sure what the conclusion is here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21209

Rumour Mill or the Spin Factory has it that all 'Safety' Camera's are to reviewed and unless one fatal or 2-3 serious accidents have happended at the spot then they are to removed.. Not sure how true this is tho. Sounds like b*ll*cks now I've read it back, but I read it somewhere.

The new fines system, despite potentially earning more revenue for the Government, does save the licence a bit with the 2 points rather than 3 for mild offences. I think that 3 points kicks in when you do 40mph in a 30 and then its 6 points over 45. Correct me if this is wrong. My problem isn't in town tho, its on the open roads.

I'd like to see the motorway speed increased to 90 during 12-5am or whatever.

I like the philosophy about the successful camera's not collecting any revenue! interesting point and sure to enrage my pro-camera friends after a few beers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21210

I agree with all the above - I think the easiest way to combat it is to buy your own 'safety' device that detects 'safety' cameras. I believe there's one that not only detects a hand held lazer but sends the lazer beam back from whence it came; in the interests of safety obviously. Anybody know the name of this particular safety device?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21212

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pneumatic on 02 December 2004
I agree with all the above - I think the easiest way to combat it is to buy your own 'safety' device that detects 'safety' cameras. I believe there's one that not only detects a hand held lazer but sends the lazer beam back from whence it came; in the interests of safety obviously. Anybody know the name of this particular safety device?

For some odd reason the government and other grey controllists don't like devices that give drivers early warning of an imminent danger area (i.e. imminent "safety" camera).

I would guess that it's a bit like "congestion" charging; it's all about revenue, if there isn't sufficient, they'll dream up ways of generating more.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21213

You will be thinking of the Target LRC 100, although this does not detect but deflects!
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21214

Thanks Shed17. I think all safety concious drivers should consider the merits of this particular device!

Is there any truth in the rumour that there is a new night-time safety camera - apparently all a driver sees is a pink light??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21223

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back