Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

EPS RMS main bearing, any good?

Damo996

Silverstone
My gearbox is coming off as I have an oil leek between engine and the box so assuming its the RMS, while the box is off also going to check the IMS and fit a light weight flywheel and clutch etc (rpmtechnik kit) and while having a google last night I came across this

I had a quick search on here and found nothing helpful so thought I would ask the question as im sure some of you will have the knowlage to say if this is worth it or not. I'm assuming it will help support the crack so less likely to snap with the LWFW.

With 164K miles on the engine I'm not that far out from a rebuild which due to costs will be doing myself in approx. 2 years time I recon. will be Hartech sleaves (I have built 4 pots in the past but nothing bigger)

any tips greatly appreciated

thanks

this thread has some info

I know there is this and the IMS Solution, noting since they both applied for patents, further innovations in this market came to a grounding halt
no experience of either, both camps point at success \why they are better (very much a USA thing)

need more opinions and proven examples

Waste of money. Just do the engine build now and put that money towards it. You're looking at spending $450+ on an unproven product that's going in the bin in 2 years. I fail to see the point.

Your oil leak is more likely to be the cover plate and bolts for the IMS.

If the crank bearings let go the clutch will be fine.

thanks both,

I mite just put my head in the sand over the rest of summer with regards to the leek and then pull the engine and start striping it down this winter and rebuild. Hartech add this extra bearing as part of the bottom end work so one would assume its differently a benefit to have but as stated and agreed best to start the rebuild sooner that later I guess.

Do you have any evidence of a leak on your drive? If not, then forget about it. Also, I had a very slight weep on the bell housing. When I changed to Millers 10w50 last year, the weep disappeared.

Do you have any evidence of a leak on your drive? If not, then forget about it. Also, I had a very slight weep on the bell housing. When I changed to Millers 10w50 last year, the weep disappeared.
No signs of any leek on the drive or any issues currently, well apart from the rust tbh. I've been running millers 10w50 for the last 4 years and between changes it does not use a drop.

That's not a leak then. Porsche would only consider taking action if it was dripping. Misting round the bell housing would be left alone until required clutch change.

That's not a leak then. Porsche would only consider taking action if it was dripping. Misting round the bell housing would be left alone until required clutch change.
thanks for the advice, its appreciated

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoxsterBE2024
Back