Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts

huesey1974

Monza
Hi,
Just changed out my engine mounts and it made a huge difference, No more shaky idle and slightly notchy gear change is gone. The old ones were hanging about 15mm lower than the new ones. Easy diy took about 2 hours.

This is on my never ending list of things to do, I've seen mine are slightly sagging and I can feel the engine moving about more than it should, I think most 996's will be due replacement soon.
Did you replace like for like or go for uprated Wevo etc or C4 ones?

Infra, I have just had mine changed for RSS ones, incredible difference to the poise of the car, no more 'bumping' from the rear end on fast direction changes and the car feels so much more responsive.

There is another added bonus, it makes the car sound as if it has had an exhaust change from the cabin! Excellent vfm mod in my opinion. CG supplied and fitted mine whilst the latest geo was being done.

Hi,
I got normal ones from pelican parts.

DynoMike said:
Infra, I have just had mine changed for RSS ones, incredible difference to the poise of the car, no more 'bumping' from the rear end on fast direction changes and the car feels so much more responsive.

There is another added bonus, it makes the car sound as if it has had an exhaust change from the cabin! Excellent vfm mod in my opinion. CG supplied and fitted mine whilst the latest geo was being done.

Do the RRS ones make it more harsh or have you noticed much difference.

infrasilver said:
DynoMike said:

Do the RRS ones make it more harsh or have you noticed much difference.

Mine is a turbo so maybe a little different from an N/A car, but what they have done is make a high speed gt into a sports car if that makes sense. Yes the engine is more audible than before, but in my book that is a good thing, as the turbo engine was so quiet. What the mounts do bring is more control to the car, a little less nose- bobbing because the relative masses are more connected.

I would be very surprised if you didn't like them after fitting! As your car is lowered, you may get even more of a gain than I did. I was rather sceptical before I tried them ( U.S. forums making huge claims) but they are very good. I definitely wouldn't call them harsh though. Give it a try!

DynoMike said:

can i ask how much was this supplied and fitted?

huesey1974 said:
Hi,
Just changed out my engine mounts and it made a huge difference, No more shaky idle and slightly notchy gear change is gone. The old ones were hanging about 15mm lower than the new ones. Easy diy took about 2 hours.

Was it easy to change? What tools are needed?

Thanks,

James

It's quite an easy job.
Remove your airbox and secondary air pump, do one side at a time, jack under engine to take the weight, undo the large nut underneath then the two smaller ones in the engine bay and lift it out. Fitting is reversal of removal.

This is next on the list for me - new set of RSS mounts

Hmmm, I'm tempted now. If previously ruled out solid mounts due to the vibration in the cabin, but if they reduce nose bobbing then I might reconsider. I hate the poi poising it does over anything other than perfect tarmac!

jamesf said:
DynoMike said:

can i ask how much was this supplied and fitted?

I paid £275 plus vat for the mounts. CG managed to get them fitted in around an hour, so that is all I paid for. I will caveat this with the fact that mine is a 996 Turbo, Chris/Pete told me that 997t's are a fair bit more complex to change.

eca02apc, the car now follows road undulations rather than having the engine mass going down as the chassis goes up! My original mounts were not particularly worn, Chris just said "Change them, it does make the car feel tighter". He was right. I did have more geo work done at the same time, but the mounts make themselves felt straight away, not only for the better sound inside the cabin but for the precision of the car compared to before.

Hope that helps guys.

Its a no brainer especially if your on original mounts, As I said mine were about 15mm lower, The exhaust now sits perfect in the rear bumper, No more seat vibration at idle and I also think it sounds and runs a lot better. Tools needed are 18mm long reach socket with extension bar, And I think a 12mm socket for inside the engine bay. A bit of wood with your jack is handy to support the engine as you do them 1 at a time. Soak them in WD40 first. The 18mm nuts were jammed solid but the whole screwed rod came out with the nuts still attached to it so I just gave it a little heat and off they came. Coilovers next :D

huesey1974 said:
A bit of wood with your jack is handy to support the engine as you do them 1 at a time.

What point on the bottom of the engine did you put the jack onto? Is it just a case of supporting the engine, or does it need raising to release the old mounts and fit the new ones?

Sounds like a well worthwhile and very DIYable job to be honest...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back