Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

emergency trunk release

mscant

Some points for the record from recent flat battery preventing 'frunk' access. My car is 2007 3.4s Boxster. I had foolishly left the key in the ignition and left the car for weeks!
The standard procedure from the drivers handbook did not work even with fully charged separate battery. The emergency release cable is located on the LHS at the upper front of the wheel arch. The front part of the lining can be removed (5 screws) to give access to the cable. This can be done with the wheel still on, useful if your wheel security nut is in the frunk with all the other wheel removal gear !! My cable had seen some previous action and all that remained of it was about 4 inches and no loop handle. It needs some force to pull but its vital that you pull in the line of the cable which is toward the lock area. Pulling straight out toward the side of the car will bring you into contact with the sharp edge of the hole in the inner wing through which the cable passes. You may have to detach an electric cable from its securing point to get better access to pull. I managed it with pliers and using both arms. There is a rubber grommet which becomes detached when you pull so if you don't pull on the right line you will be against the raw sharp edge of the inner wing. If the cable snapped there you would have a real problem! When the cable gives it moves about 3 inches before you hear the release 'clunk' I found that it remains stuck in this release position and to allow the frunk to close you will need to return the catch to its normal position with a screwdriver or similar.

that sounded like a bit of a challange, but good to hear it has opened !

I'd be concerned as to why the emergency battery process did not work.

It failed to work for me due to :

- booster pack have built in safety features meaning they often won't work just attached to the emergency fuse and door strap ground even though they will "spark"

- often the pull button in the door sill to release the frunk still won't work ie you have to press the frunk open button on the remote for c3 seconds

I've been through the above recently after my battery maintainer mysteriously disconnected itself whilst the car was in storage. I really struggled to get the emergency fuse process to work. In the end a spare battery, jump cables and using the remote button worked no problem. I had almost resorted to using the cable ;-)

I'd be concerned as to why the emergency battery process did not work.

It failed to work for me due to :

- booster pack have built in safety features meaning they often won't work just attached to the emergency fuse and door strap ground even though they will "spark"

- often the pull button in the door sill to release the frunk still won't work ie you have to press the frunk open button on the remote for c3 seconds

I've been through the above recently after my battery maintainer mysteriously disconnected itself whilst the car was in storage. I really struggled to get the emergency fuse process to work. In the end a spare battery, jump cables and using the remote button worked no problem. I had almost resorted to using the cable ;-)
I didn't try the 3 secs with the remote ! Nothing in the drivers manual about that! If that had worked it would have saved a whole lot of trouble. I'm still not quite back to normal yet as the frunk catch has not returned to its original position so the frunk wont close. and is on the safety catch. Trying to move the catch with screwdriver not working. Off to my indy garage next !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back