Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Embarrassing Problem....

mog

After I filled up (my 2003 Boxster S 986)at the petrol station yesterday, I turned on my ignition and my alarm went off! I turned the ignition off then on again, but the alarm kept going. Not knowing what to do, I slipped away, convinced that the full forecourt of customers were thinking I had hotwired the car. As I drove along, the alarm continued, stopping intermittently, so rather than retreating home via town I chose a quieter route. I nevertheless passed a few onlookers who showed no interest in the apparently stolen nice looking roadster.

Car is now in hiding in garage, and I daren't go out in it - anyone any idea why the alarm might do this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

(I guess nobody bothered to report the "stolen" vehicle as no calls from concerned police).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83699

turn the alarm on and off a couple of times, may do the trick

i think you may have a battery thats about to go flat?

ive found that sometimes you have just enough power to start it then the alarm goes off because the battery is flat

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83713

It would appear that the alarm battery back up siren is faulty. I take it there were no flashing indicators while the alarm was going off? If just the siren, and no horn, the siren is faulty or plug to it is corroded.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84379

Thanks all for your input. I took the car out the next day and had no more problems.

I called a service adviser where I get my car serviced and she said that it has likely reset itself, but all faults are stored on a memory chip and so are detected and examined when the car is next taken in for service.

Otherwise, if it goes off again, then I'll take it in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84546

If the fault is in the battery back up siren the fault will not be stored in the alarm memory. the siren and the tilt sensor were fitted on all uk cars for thatcham cat 1 approval and are not in the fault memory software. Did the indicators flash or not when siren went off?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85088

You should also ask the garage to clean/replace the plugs to the back up siren. In earlier models it is exposed to the elements, the connections rust and can then drain your main battery, which is a pain...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85181

Not sure if the indicators were flashing when the siren went off as I was in the car the whole time, trying to get out of sight!

Plugs to the back up siren will certainly be looked at - this may explain why three weeks ago I had a flat battery. I thought it had gone flat as I had not used the car for three weeks, but perhaps rusty connections to the back up siren may have been the reason...?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85825

Sounds like the alarm (backup) battery is flat.

Easy way to find out....... was the alarm just an electronic siren or did it alternate with the car horn ?

electronis siren only - then problem is with the alarm battery
dual tone siren - faulty sensor in car

Take it to the OPC - they can interrogate the system and find out the problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86024

Gastro said:
Sounds like the alarm (backup) battery is flat.

Easy way to find out....... was the alarm just an electronic siren or did it alternate with the car horn ?

electronis siren only - then problem is with the alarm battery
dual tone siren - faulty sensor in car

Take it to the OPC - they can interrogate the system and find out the problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 86024

Dragging this up...
Does anyone know where the alarm battery is located? Tried searching here and on Rennlist but no joy, PET doesn't show it either. Have alarm sounding but no horn so thinking this may be the cause.
Thanks.

The alarm battery is within the siren itself, which is next to the main battery.

There is one nut holding it in place with a bracket for the tilt sensor.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrmward27
Back