Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electrical issues with interior lights / Headlight washers

Alxd912

Silverstone
Hey,

Some more questions after finding some issues.

Firstly:
The Interior lights that should turn on when you open the door do not come on. I have tried clicking the light in all 3 positions and only one position turns them on, but neither doors effect them coming on.

When opening the drivers door I get the chime so door switch seems to work, but no chime when I open the passenger door.
Also not sure if this is related, but the light above the glove box does not come on when opening the glove box, but this does not come on at all regardless which position I turn it to. I have no idea how to take the light out to check the bulb and I am worried I will break something if I force it. Some help would be very appreciated.

Secondly:The headlight washers do not seem to work when I push the stalk forward.
There is plenty of water in the tank as the windscreen washers work fine.
I have searched but I have not been able to find where the pump is, or even if there is a fuse for it.

Anyhow any help very appreciated.

Regards

Alex

Re: Electrical issues with interior lights / Headlight washe

Alxd912 said:
Hey,

Some more questions after finding some issues.

Firstly:
The Interior lights that should turn on when you open the door do not come on. I have tried clicking the light in all 3 positions and only one position turns them on, but neither doors effect them coming on.

When opening the drivers door I get the chime so door switch seems to work, but no chime when I open the passenger door.
Also not sure if this is related, but the light above the glove box does not come on when opening the glove box, but this does not come on at all regardless which position I turn it to. I have no idea how to take the light out to check the bulb and I am worried I will break something if I force it. Some help would be very appreciated.

Secondly:The headlight washers do not seem to work when I push the stalk forward.
There is plenty of water in the tank as the windscreen washers work fine.
I have searched but I have not been able to find where the pump is, or even if there is a fuse for it.

Anyhow any help very appreciated.

Regards

Alex

Hey,

So let's start with the Second one.. Complete newbie school boy error... Have to have the headlights on!... Those cleaver guys at Porsche.

First one.
So I removed the glove box light and stuck my meter across it. Long story short there is a small ball bearing with a spring that makes contact when switch the light on. Well that was not making contact, so I added some solder there and now it makes contact.
See pictures.

BUT still no light when its fitted with the wires connected. I buzzed them out and the single brown one connected to the chassis of the holder is grounded which appears to change depending on the switch position. The other set of wires seem to be open circuit regardless if I press the glove box switch.
Are these in the correct location on the light?

I am trying to look at the wiring diagram as I am wondering what is the common thing here.

Glove_box_wiring1645987470.jpg

Contact_before1645987470.jpg

Glove_box_light_with_solder1645987470.jpg

Regards

Alex

Update:

So the wiring was wrong on the light and also the switch in the glove box was sticking..

So all working now.
Next issue is the door lights not working when I open the door.

Alex

Can anyone help with the following:

When the doors are opened the interior lights do not come on as expected, but the lights stay on even with both doors are closed. I know one position is permanently on, and other for doors and one turns them off, but they just stay on with the exception when in the OFF position.

I took the passenger door switch off and when I short it to ground I hear a relay click.
Any ideas why the lights are not switching on?

Also when opening the drivers door I get the chiming, so the switch at least on the drivers door is doing something.

Alex

Alxd912 said:
Case closed now.

Un be known to me the interior lights stay on for around 20 seconds after closing the doors!!

Great thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/19479-interior-light-stays-on-3.html

Alex
I didn't realise that at first either. :floor:

My interior lights weren't turning off due to the bracket that the trunk light switch presses against having bent down so the trunk light wasn't going off. I bent that bracket back up and problem solved. :frustrated:

spooky said:
Alxd912 said:
Case closed now.

Un be known to me the interior lights stay on for around 20 seconds after closing the doors!!

Great thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/19479-interior-light-stays-on-3.html

Alex
I didn't realise that at first either. :floor:

My interior lights weren't turning off due to the bracket that the trunk light switch presses against having bent down so the trunk light wasn't going off. I bent that bracket back up and problem solved. :frustrated:

Well I hope that link helped as I was scratching my head for a while. The previous owner didn't know about that features either, but now it all makes sense.
When you close the car doors the light stays on for those 20 secs, but once you lock the door the lights go off immediately.

It was like my headlight washer not working that turned out to be you had to have the headlights on! That took some searching as well...

Well I'm still a new owner learning about the car.

Cheers
Alex

Alxd912 said:
Well I hope that link helped as I was scratching my head for a while.
I meant when I first got the car. There are some helpful people on here but you'll often get a bigger response on Rennlist, as you've seen!

spooky said:
Alxd912 said:
I meant when I first got the car. There are some helpful people on here but you'll often get a bigger response on Rennlist, as you've seen!

Hey,

Thanks for the tip and I have posted there and Pelican forum as well.

Some really helpful people out there and really prepared to take pictures of their cars:)

So now on to the next job of the electric spoiler:)

Alex

Alxd912 said:
spooky said:
Alxd912 said:

Hey,

Thanks for the tip and I have posted there and Pelican forum as well.

Some really helpful people out there and really prepared to take pictures of their cars:)

So now on to the next job of the electric spoiler:)

Alex
There's always something! :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z102B
Back