Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

eibach spring question

little fella

Silverstone
Hi,

I did have coilovers on my car which lowered it by about 30mm.

I've now changed to koni active dampers and eibach -30mm springs and its
now very low and i cant even drive it on my inspection ramps anymore.

I've only done the front so far, looking at my pics does this seem normal as it looks lower than a gt3 now to me, the top of the tyre is level with the wheel arch.
With coilovers on i measured 25 1/4" from bottom of tyre to bottom edge of
arch, now its 24 1/4".

Anyone else got this set up?

Cheers
Carl

Attachments

• img_20210718_wa0002_486.jpg
    img_20210718_wa0002_486.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,958
  • img_20210718_wa0001_546.jpg
    img_20210718_wa0001_546.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,958
Mine on Eibachs, certainly one of the lower spring options for the 996, in reality it's probably more like the X74 -30mm rear -40mm front ride height.

Attachments

• 20210122_162907_174.jpg
    20210122_162907_174.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 1,945
jezgreen911 said:
Mine on Eibachs, certainly one of the lower spring options for the 996, in reality it's probably more like the X74 -30mm rear -40mm front ride height.

So what other spring options is there that aren't as low, as most seemed to say -30mm when I was searching and I thought I read somewhere on here that H&R springs sat low at the front, that's why I went with eibach

little fella said:
jezgreen911 said:

So what other spring options is there that aren't as low, as most seemed to say -30mm when I was searching and I thought I read somewhere on here that H&R springs sat low at the front, that's why I went with eibach

I thought the Eibach's were a bit lower than the H&R's :?:

If you look at 'Coulstar's' car thread he has fitted some different springs, also the Techart springs are -25mm but are rare

How come you removed the coilovers?

jezgreen911 said:
little fella said:
jezgreen911 said:

I thought the Eibach's were a bit lower than the H&R's :?:

If you look at 'Coulstar's' car thread he has fitted some different springs, also the Techart springs are -25mm but are rare

How come you removed the coilovers?

They felt great on fast a&b roads in Scotland were I bought the car but the roads were I live are full of holes and traffic jams, which made them a little to stiff for me plus I won't be doing any track days.

Now I don't know wot to do as it's now lower than I thought it would be.
Do you have any issues with speed bumps?

I've had just this discussion with someone earlier this year (Nathan). He had a similar dilemma of it being 'too' low

On stock dampers my H&R ride height is front 117mm / rear 127mm (from factory measuring points)

On stock dampers and eibach springs Nathan's ride height was front 103mm / rear 120mm (just below GT3 ride heights).

His complaint was that the ride height was a bit too low for Surrey's undulating and bumpy roads and the ride was a bit choppy on the motorway - perhaps related to the car bouncing on the bumpstops at motorway speeds.

Nathan took his car back to centre gravity to raise/shim the setup; and in Nathan's words 'They spent the day working on the car setting it up just right. They even had a special spring damper part made especially to solve the issue I was facing. After tinkering with the car I was asked to do a test drive and what a difference it made - the car now rides so much better.

In the end they had to increase the front and rear ride heights by 15mm and 11mm, bringing the front and rear ride heights up to 117mm and 126mm, which is very close to what you've got as well."

Some more info on my H&R's.... No 9 Porsche 911 996 H&R Lowering Springs;
https://youtu.be/HwH5JB3pqaI

Had mine on H&R springs with Bilstein B8 dampers. Loved the stance and the drive 😁

Attachments

• img_1354_576.jpg
    img_1354_576.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 1,856
I have the Koni sport dampers and Vogtland springs. I think they are 25-30mm drop, not as much as some. Just a tad lower than M030.

Spot on for me as I do a lot of B road driving.

Attachments

• img_20210124_131543jpg7570ef894511a5f5f516c876f2747926_205.jpg
    img_20210124_131543jpg7570ef894511a5f5f516c876f2747926_205.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,819
Coullstar,
That looks spot on height wise, same as my coilovers.

My car has been converted from a C4 to C2 and when changing the coilovers
to the koni i noticed that it still had the C4 front ARB which was just touching the lower arm, this was probably the reason my coilovers didn't ride the big bumps were i live because the arm and ARB were hitting each other.

I've now got a C2 front ARB now but i may have bought new shocks and springs when it was the front ARB :frustrated:

FYI

I have M030 dampers and Eibach springs, after fitting the rear ride height was too low so I had some 10mm spring perch spacers made up.

Porsche datum ride height 10,000m later was F 106mm/ R 113mm.

Messing around recently I added another 12mm rear spacer (now 22mm total) and ride heights were F108mm/ R 130mm, a bit too much although handling is still good, I may reduce it a bit in the future.

Hi Carl, I can't comment on your current spring set up but that's why I went for coil overs as you can fine tune to the way you want.

Did you try the PSS9's on a softer setting before removing, the next thing after that would have been changing the spring out for something softer if you still found it to hard. Centre Gravity advised me on spring length and poundage of spring to install. They supplied the new rear springs for your car also.

Locosaki said:
Hi Carl, I can't comment on your current spring set up but that's why I went for coil overs as you can fine tune to the way you want.

Did you try the PSS9's on a softer setting before removing, the next thing after that would have been changing the spring out for something softer if you still found it to hard. Centre Gravity advised me on spring length and poundage of spring to install. They supplied the new rear springs for your car also.

Never really thought about changing the springs on the coilovers, might of been a better route to go down, not sure what to do at the mo as spent a load of money and its to low for me now.

Locosaki said:

Never really thought about changing the springs on the coilovers, might of been a better route to go down, not sure what to do at the mo as spent a load of money and its to low for me now.

The spacers that I had made were only £20 for a pair, if you fit yourself then it's a cheap fix, you'll need another geo though.

911munKy I can see how it would be easy to make and fit spacers for the spring perch on the rear, but I think it'd be much harder for the front as the spring perch is shaped to match the last coil at the bottom of the spring and there doesn't seem any where at the top you could do it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z102B
Back