Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driver Seat Removal

Schwaben

Silverstone
I have looked all over but there does not appear to be a definitive description on how to remove a 997.1 driver's seat (Sport seat, only electric recline, the rest is manual). I want to re-pad my seat cushion and would welcome views on how to take the seat out in such a way that I do not initiate a festive display of fault lights. thanks.

Don't forget to isolate battery or you'll likely trigger the airbag light, needing PIWIS or similar to reset.

Those instructions, though good, are for a North American car - C16 (UK) will trigger alarm unless key in position 1.

Removing seats .. a towel or wing cover on the outer panels to stop scratching ..

Passengers side and a towel on the door card And the dash board .. as you lift the seat out it's pretty easy to touch and scratch door card , dash and sill trims , paintwork .

Always undo the rear seat bolts first then the front .. this way the runners will be tucked under the seat and not sticking out .

drivers side and you have to lift backwards to clear the steering wheel .

When refitting .. i always put a wing cover over the center console .

battery disconnect is so that the airbag does not trigger if you turn the ignition on .. it can be reset using a tester though so not a huge issue .

A second person to watch as its removed is a good idea to guide it out basically .

Thanks all for the feedback. To clarify regarding battery, only one terminal is unclipped and no key or key in position 1?

Lastly when the battery is reconnected will it throw up faults and will I need to reprogramme PCM etc?

I never disconnect the battery on any car inc the 997. As long as you don't turn on the ignition it won't bring the airbag light on.

Julesturbo said:
I never disconnect the battery on any car inc the 997. As long as you don't turn on the ignition it won't bring the airbag light on.

:yeah:

996 .. Ignition in the on position engine not running and disconnect the negative lead on the battery .

997 and as long as the car is unlocked and drivers door open you don't need the ignition key in the lock to undo the battery neg lead .

This is not needed if you never turn on the ignition with any airbag item unplugged but as it's easy enough to do .. say you have to move the car a bit or open a window .. or god knows what ! then it's worth doing .

Worst way .. you turn on the ignition and the airbag light comes on .. its 5 mins at a local garage ( if you don't have a tester ) to turn it off .. not a big deal really .

After a battery disconnect ..

Windows will need to be manually closed , release button then hold in the closed position for 5 seconds .. this teaches the end stop .

Ignition on but don't touch the throttle .. after 30 seconds turn off then start the car ,, this teaches the throttle stop .

You WILL have error codes on the dash .. drive over 6mph and they will go .. this is the steering angle sensor which will go back to its original settings after a drive above 6mph .

This will NOT calibrate or set a new position for this sensor .. it will merely drop back to its old settings so this method can NOT be used after replacing suspension items which will alter the position of this sensor .

deMort said:
996 .. Ignition in the on position engine not running and disconnect the negative lead on the battery .

997 and as long as the car is unlocked and drivers door open you don't need the ignition key in the lock to undo the battery neg lead .

This is not needed if you never turn on the ignition with any airbag item unplugged but as it's easy enough to do .. say you have to move the car a bit or open a window .. or god knows what ! then it's worth doing .

Worst way .. you turn on the ignition and the airbag light comes on .. its 5 mins at a local garage ( if you don't have a tester ) to turn it off .. not a big deal really .

After a battery disconnect ..

Windows will need to be manually closed , release button then hold in the closed position for 5 seconds .. this teaches the end stop .

Ignition on but don't touch the throttle .. after 30 seconds turn off then start the car ,, this teaches the throttle stop .

You WILL have error codes on the dash .. drive over 6mph and they will go .. this is the steering angle sensor which will go back to its original settings after a drive above 6mph .

This will NOT calibrate or set a new position for this sensor .. it will merely drop back to its old settings so this method can NOT be used after replacing suspension items which will alter the position of this sensor .

Thanks deMORT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z102B
Back