Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door membrane adhesive - Wet door carpet

ckellum84

Hi I replaced the drivers door window regulator a while back. Had to gently peel back the required part of the foam door membrane to get to it. (image attached not my car, mine is without door speakers)
The original glue is not tacky enough to stick it back properly and also the membrane is torn slightly in a few places along the bottom edge.

Now when it rains the bottom edge door carpet gets very wet. I've just taken the door card off, and poured water over the window. I can see the drips starting to come in through the gaps and run under the door, leading to the area that is getting wet.

Seems only option is to replace the "inner door membrane seal" which Design 911 do for £66.64 Part number 99655583

Question is what adhesive to use to fix it to the door? I'd like to use the same that Porsche used, which is like a gum type glue that remains tacky. Has anyone replaced theirs? if so what did you go with?

Thanks
Craig

Attachments

• membrane_foam_996_99_100.jpg
    membrane_foam_996_99_100.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,258
ckellum84 said:
Hi I replaced the drivers door window regulator a while back. Had to gently peel back the required part of the foam door membrane to get to it. (image attached not my car, mine is without door speakers)
The original glue is not tacky enough to stick it back properly and also the membrane is torn slightly in a few places along the bottom edge.

Now when it rains the bottom edge door carpet gets very wet. I've just taken the door card off, and poured water over the window. I can see the drips starting to come in through the gaps and run under the door, leading to the area that is getting wet.

Seems only option is to replace the "inner door membrane seal" which Design 911 do for £66.64 Part number 99655583

Question is what adhesive to use to fix it to the door? I'd like to use the same that Porsche used, which is like a gum type glue that remains tacky. Has anyone replaced theirs? if so what did you go with?

Thanks
Craig

I just used black Sticks like Sh*t

Your issue is more likely your window seal. You shouldn't be getting water in there.

I used the old membrane as template on a sheet of plastic and fixed it in place with some spray impact adhesive.

Alex said:
Your issue is more likely your window seal. You shouldn't be getting water in there.

you definitely should expect water to get in there. That's why theres a membrane and drain holes in the base of the door. No car door is water tight at the window seal, especially frameless doors

Yes I poured water over the window and water was dripping off the membrane where it's not stuck down which then absorbed into the carpet.
At the same time, a majority of the water was pouring out the drain holes under the door as I would expect.

Gribbo said:
I used the old membrane as template on a sheet of plastic and fixed it in place with some spray impact adhesive.
That would certainly be a cheaper option.
Gone for the original part as it's got some sound insulation built onto it.

If your carpet is sodden its not a couple of drips! I had the exact same problem with mine. After some investigating you could see the seal along the top on the door skin up against the window had a gap between that and the glass. The water runs right down there and gets the carpet wet.

As for drain holes in the bottom of the door - how does the carpet get wet if they're there? :?:
If water is pouring out of them when you pour water over the car, you've got a problem and it ain't the membrane!

That's also probably why your regulator failed - getting too wet and rusting up.

Alex said:
If your carpet is sodden its not a couple of drips! I had the exact same problem with mine. After some investigating you could see the seal along the top on the door skin up against the window had a gap between that and the glass. The water runs right down there and gets the carpet wet.

As for drain holes in the bottom of the door - how does the carpet get wet if they're there? :?:
If water is pouring out of them when you pour water over the car, you've got a problem and it ain't the membrane!

That's also probably why your regulator failed - getting too wet and rusting up.

The carpet gets wet because some of the water gets through the gaps in the membrane where it's not attached properly and then gets to the door card and runs down. I agree that the door seal plays a part but it won't stop all water getting in.

You shouldn't be getting water in there full stop. At least not to the point your door card is soaking it up like a sponge. Should be virtually bone dry in there, if it's not, you've got a problem.

Thanks for the help and advice.
The membrane is ordered so I'll definitely be fitting that first. Then monitor the situation over the inevitably wet UK winter.

Hopefully find a similar glue to the Porsche one.

Is your passenger door carpet wet too?

Also, when you drop both your windows, does the water get squiggiied off by the door window seal?

Alex said:
Is your passenger door carpet wet too?

Also, when you drop both your windows, does the water get squiggiied off by the door window seal?

No the passenger door carpet is dry. Which was I suppose expected as I've never been inside that door.
Yes the seal is pretty firm against the window so gives the desired sqiggy effect.

Sorry, I thought you did your passenger side last year when it was crunching.

Have you checked your rubber seals under the external door handle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyp
Back