Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door check issue - poor previous repair

spooky

Monza
I'm trying to fix the door check - sticks and clunks.

Someone had previous put some metal on the inside to reinforce it but it only went halfway across the mechanism and there was no reinforcement on the outside, so it has bent to the extent that the bolts are recessed and it's not possible to get hold of them to get the mechanism out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to straighten this out enough to get hold of the bolts without causing more damage in the process?

Attachments

• img_2427_874.jpg
    img_2427_874.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 3,533
  • img_2424_112.jpg
    img_2424_112.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 3,533
The factory reinforcement panel has fractured in the middle and broken off.Its probably lying in the bottom of the door.It looks like someone has welded the heads of the bolts. so removal could be tricky.If you open the door wide then keep pushing it open it will bend the panel so you can access the heads of the bolts.But if they have been welded then good luck.

Big Jock said:
The factory reinforcement panel has fractured in the middle and broken off.Its probably lying in the bottom of the door.It looks like someone has welded the heads of the bolts. so removal could be tricky.If you open the door wide then keep pushing it open it will bend the panel so you can access the heads of the bolts.But if they have been welded then good luck.

Thanks for that.

I didn't realise that panel on the inside was factory. The heads of the bolts look like they have just been pulled down below the level of the skin. What indicates to you that someone has welded the heads of the bolts?

I'll reattach the arm to the A pillar part and push the door open a bit and see if that allows me to get the bolts - good idea!

Big Jock said:

You were absolutely spot on and I've now got the mechanism out.

Thanks for that and thank goodness for the forums and the knowledge that can be found on them.

I can now see that half of the internal reinforcement has gone, as you said. I did not realise that was done from the factory or is it an additional part?

Does it look like that is welded in place? I imagine it will be exceptionally difficult to remove? Any tips for the next part of sorting this out?

The inner skin is fractured but I get the feeling that if I can somehow get the two repair kit reinforcement parts in place on either side of the inner skin then it might be ok.

Attachments

• img_2430_115.jpg
    img_2430_115.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 3,514
  • img_2434_126.jpg
    img_2434_126.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 3,514
Thats a factory part.Its spot welded but some of the spots have given up and once the part fractured its fallen off.Due to limited space in there it could be tricky to repair.

Big Jock said:
Thats a factory part.Its spot welded but some of the spots have given up and once the part fractured its fallen off.Due to limited space in there it could be tricky to repair.

Thanks for the help.

I guess the ideal would be cutting out a bit of the outer skin, welding in a new part on the inner skin and then welding the outer part back together?

Do you think putting the Rennline-style repair kit inner and outer reinforcement parts on top of what's already there would be ok in the short term?

I guess I can give it a go and see what happens...

I would be very wary of cutting the outside skin,that would be difficult to get right again.You may be able to cut a section of the inside of the door and just fold it out of the way for access.Im not familiar with the repair kit,sorry.

Big Jock said:
I would be very wary of cutting the outside skin,that would be difficult to get right again.You may be able to cut a section of the inside of the door and just fold it out of the way for access.Im not familiar with the repair kit,sorry.
It's just two bits of metal that go each side of the inner skin:

https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD53191100/door-check-repair-kit.html

I think I need some longer bolts - I don't suppose you might know what size I need?

I found the missing part inside the door - I guess I can use some suitable glue to put it in place to give a level playing field inside as a temporary repair?

Thanks for your help with this - it's very much appreciated!

The fun of classic ownership... :floor:

Attachments

• img_2437_324.jpg
    img_2437_324.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 3,457
I thought it might be in the door.I would clean up that piece so its a good fit and glue it back on(which will be stronger than a few spot welds).Use something like panel bond or one of the 2 pack adhesives bodyshops use for audis and bmws.Use the check strap and bolts to pull it together as it cures.Then do the same with the repair section over the top and Im sure it will be fine.Good luck.

Big Jock said:
I thought it might be in the door.I would clean up that piece so its a good fit and glue it back on(which will be stronger than a few spot welds).Use something like panel bond or one of the 2 pack adhesives bodyshops use for audis and bmws.Use the check strap and bolts to pull it together as it cures.Then do the same with the repair section over the top and Im sure it will be fine.Good luck.

I trimmed the rubber bits inside the mechanism slightly as it was rock solid and not moving - doing this allowed it to move. I still got a loud click at each stop and then realised that I had only put the pin in partially to see if the mechanism moved, so I put it all the way in and it is now working and silent. I'm happier with the mechanism not being too tight considering the condition of the inner skin.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts...

I'd put a bit of string on the outer reinforcement plate just in case it dropped down - the last thing you want is something dropping down between the inner and outer door skins. It dropped and I thought 'thank god I tied some string to it'. Unfortunately I had tied it to the bottom of the reinforcement plate and as soon as I tried to pull it back up... yep it swivelled, got stuck and the string snapped. I can see door removal and shaking it around in my future if it rattles around, which I'm sure it will. At least I know how to get the door apart, although taking it off might be fun. Looking back, I'd have done it just a little bit differently.

Anyway, the door now opens and closes smoothly and quietly, so it's a small win, albeit probably temporary.

Thanks for the help on here - very much appreciated. 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlb81
Back