Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does the Ins Co need to know?

samantha

can i get some advice please guys,

ive just had a sports exhaust fitted and i wondered it that counts as a modification and if i need to let the Insurance company know?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78949

yes...............however its up to you if you want to chance not telling them

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78951

Sam,

You should advise your insurer of any changes to your car, including optional extras.

Does the exhaust increase the bhp?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78952

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 08 October 2006

if you don't they have an excuse in the event of a claim not to pay out....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78953

It will be viewed as a performance modification so if you had an accident and you didn't tell them about the mod, the engineer might well spot it and give them a perfect excuse not to pay out. Even if you told them, I doubt it'll bump up the premium much, if at all, as it dosen't really increase the power much.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78954

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 08 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 08 October 2006

if you don't they have an excuse in the event of a claim not to pay out....

oh yeah wasn't condoning not telling them but provided it looks identical to the original system then its going to be hard for the Insurance co's engineer to say whether its a sports/performance system or just a stainless replacement one............tho must admit its always best to be honest with them just in case

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78959

you need to tell them, they always ask if car has had any modifications and will look to get out of any claim if they can.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78962

If the change is not visually obvious, and the accident is not too bad and not performance related, then you might well get away with it. eg for my RSR I didn't bother telling them because it does ***** all to the performance and it looks identical to the original box, so unless they cut the box open they wouldn't know.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 78965

I was wondering this with my RSRs too?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79034

i wonder if you should tell them if its a porsche item

i.e it could of been fitted when new at the factory,

if i fit 18'' alloys to car that was originally supplied with 17's should the new owner point it out when insuring it?

i would say no

BUT this is an opinion not a statement ( for legal reasons)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79038

I told Norwich Union when I fitted my PSE but they said there was no need to. I have a note of that call (Date name of advisor etc)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79039

ANYTHING that is fitted after market, including manufacturer optional extras MUST be disclosed to your insurer as failure to do so could invalidate any claim you may wish to make.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79040

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 09 October 2006

ANYTHING that is fitted after market, including manufacturer optional extras MUST be disclosed to your insurer as failure to do so could invalidate any claim you may wish to make.
I think the thing is the Insurers like the option to know. They may well say they don't care about small things, but if you don't mention them they might have you in the long run.

Interesting comment about the wheels Mark - I have optional 18s too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79043

Surely Nicola's position in Insurance, makes her statement somewhat definitive?

It is interesting the reaction some insurers have to mods, wether they are purely asthetic or not. When ringing around for new quotes this year, mine has a stainless sports system, strut brace and lowered slightly, one or two wouldn't touch the car, one went froom £300 to £1000 and my current insuree didn't bat an eyelid.

There are going to be some mods, especially on the older cars, where as a first time buyer, or even for Insurance companies, they are not going to have a clue as to what was standard or optional, and what can be considered a mod.

Performance chips etc are a case in point, a car could be traded and then bought, and without any paper work, the owner would have no idea that the mod existed.

With many older cars were the performance/power etc isn't what it was when the car was new, some mods surely bring the car back in line with its origional condition, is this really a mod?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79047

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by DaveK on 09 October 2006

I told Norwich Union when I fitted my PSE but they said there was no need to. I have a note of that call (Date name of advisor etc)

good man.............so if they start kicking off with you, me and you can go round and take this advisor out for a "drink" :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79050

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back