Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does my car have PSE?

joshkbaker

Silverstone
Hi guys,
So this is quite a complicated one that has left me a bit confused.
I just purchased a 2006 C4S, it has the exhaust pipes where one is smaller than the other, which I assumed was PSE.
Here's the complicated part. It doesn't have a 'exhaust button' on the dash but does have a sport button. It also has sports chrono. I haven't collected the vehicle yet but the owner says he activates PSE by pressing the sport button.

I saw some posts saying that in the older generations with sports chrono, they just didn't have an exhaust button, it was indeed activated by pushing the sport button.

This would be all well and good if my build sheet I acquired actually said PSE. It's nowhere to be seen on there and it only has 'Chrome Tailpipes'.

What do you guys think?

I've attached the build sheet.
[/img]

Attachments

• wp0zzz99z6s733106_avd_1_181.pdf
    197 KB · Views: 21
  • screenshot_20210912_211546_136.jpg
    screenshot_20210912_211546_136.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2,608
Likely a retrofit. The tips are that of a PSE.

I'm in a 991 but this is what I can see on 997. I assume no PSE unless you've the PSE button, unless as above you have an aftermarket version which should still be switchable?

http://mrsportscars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Porsche-911-997-Series-Full-Brochure.pdf

All 911 models can also be equip-
ped with an optional sports
exhaust system featuring integral
sports tailpipes. The system offers
a choice of sound settings, which
are selected using a button on the
centre console. On vehicles with
the optional Sport Chrono Package
Plus (see page 84), the sports
sound mode is automatically
enabled when the Sport Chrono
'Sport' mode is selected

yes im sure its normal if a car has sports chrono to have a sport button instead of the exhaust only button which activates the exhaust.

OttoOtto said:
I'm in a 991 but this is what I can see on 997. I assume no PSE unless you've the PSE button, unless as above you have an aftermarket version which should still be switchable?

http://mrsportscars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Porsche-911-997-Series-Full-Brochure.pdf

All 911 models can also be equip-
ped with an optional sports
exhaust system featuring integral
sports tailpipes. The system offers
a choice of sound settings, which
are selected using a button on the
centre console. On vehicles with
the optional Sport Chrono Package
Plus (see page 84), the sports
sound mode is automatically
enabled when the Sport Chrono
'Sport' mode is selected

I'd agree but a lot of owners of older 997s with Chrono are confirming that the PSE didn't have a button with sports chrono

would the PSE valves not be visible if you look at the mufflers?

Correct that the 9x7 era didn't have separate exhaust button if the car had SC.

On the Cayman at least, you could pop you head under the car and see the solenoid actuators with ease. Unsure about the 997 though, anyone? Inspect the exhaust to be sure. Can also obviously hear the PSE engage when pressing the SC button at idle.

It's true of 997.1 that they have no separate button when they have sport chrono. The 997.2 has a separate button.

It's the same as mine, a 997.1 with SC and PSE, PSE is activated with the sport button. A bit annoying as pressing the sport button also puts the PASM into sport mode, which is unbearable on all but the smoothest roads, so I end up having to press two buttons when I only want to activate the PSE.

As other have said you have PSE which comes on with the sports button which can be a bit annoying if you only want one of them, I have solved this by getting a Carnewal PSE switch controller you can turn it on and off as you like without hitting Sports with the fob.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997/p97084/PSE-Manual-Control

Ian C if you want to control you PASM as well you can do this if you get the PASM controller from DSC, yes it's pricey but worth it just for the improvement in the suspension but the separate switching is also a plus.

997 gen 1 cars with sport chrono didn't have a separate switch if fitted with a PSE
If you can't tell from the noise look for the brown plug in the engine bay,a google should soon show what to look for

Thefinn said:
Ian C if you want to control you PASM as well you can do this if you get the PASM controller from DSC, yes it's pricey but worth it just for the improvement in the suspension but the separate switching is also a plus.

The DSC is on my list of things to get, unfortunately delayed due to fixing other stuff first.

Easiest way to check for PSE is to look under back at one of the side mufflers for an exhaust valve or in the engine bay for the additional vacuum solenoid. It should be on top / close to the inlet plenum.

If you have PSE then I'd recommend separating it from the Sport control and buying a PSE switch for the centre console. If you search here for "Retrofitting PSE Switch" you'll find the instructions and what components you need.

A number of us here have done this, and it works in a better way than from the factory, as it can be permanently switched in or out, rather than being controlled by the ECU.

JonnieD said:
If you have PSE then I'd recommend separating it from the Sport control and buying a PSE switch for the centre console. If you search here for "Retrofitting PSE Switch" you'll find the instructions and what components you need.

Hoping to be proved wrong as I would like mine on a switch rather than a fob, but if you have chrono on a gen 1 then you can't add another switch as Porsche never made a 5 button?????

Attachments

• screenshot_20210914_204932_chrome_178.jpg
    screenshot_20210914_204932_chrome_178.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 2,203
Thefinn said:
JonnieD said:

Hoping to be proved wrong as I would like mine on a switch rather than a fob, but if you have chrono on a gen 1 then you can't add another switch as Porsche never made a 5 button?????

Ah, you're probably right!

I only looked for the PSE switch for my gen 2. Although looking at your picture it does look like there's space for 6 switches on the gen 1 panel?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back