Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone use a blade?

911KSM

When you wash your car, does anyone use a blade to take the excess water off before drying it off with a microfibre ? I've been using one for a while but not sure if its any good for the paintwork.

Any thoughts?

Kevin.

I wouldn't. You want to touch the paint as little as possible.

MC

Not recommended bud. Get a big, soft drying towel instead. If the blade hits any dirt it'll drag it up the car. Even wiping it clean every few moments I wouldn't trust it.

Chris

deutschland-dobson said:
Not recommended bud. Get a big, soft drying towel instead. If the blade hits any dirt it'll drag it up the car. Even wiping it clean every few moments I wouldn't trust it.

Chris

+1 Blades are to be avoid

I make sure that when I clean my car I have cunningly removed the dirt.

Hence, when I use my blade I don't scratch my car.

I love it. There are some areas where the blade will not do, for these I use a microfibre towel.

You can shift so much water with the blades compared to the towels and if you've washed it properly then it shouldn't be an issue.

Then again mine has so many coats of wax I wonder how any dirt sticks to it but it seems to get bonded on!

Spray the blade with quick detailer

Helps it glide

Yes I use one with no ill effects BUT I am religious about cleaning it after every wipe to make sure its free of any nasties.

To not do so could easily introduce grit which you then drag along the paint - not good.

Yes I use one with no ill effects BUT I am religious about cleaning it after every wipe to make sure its free of any nasties.

To not do so could easily introduce grit which you then drag along the paint - not good.

Blades are ok but work best on large flat surfaces. I find the Porsche too curvy to make the best use so stick to using three large microfibre drying towels.

I avoid blades and stick to using a decent microfibres cloth. :)

As most folk have said the perceived wisdon (detailingworld.co.uk) seems to be to avoid using blades.

Having watched a few professionals (online) I bought a really good drying towel - I4D Uber Yellow Premium Drying Towel - ebay item 310679488677

But there are other very similar ones I see.

My paintwork is good - just been machine polished to remove all the microscratches and so now I do like the pro and just lay the towel on to dry the car. I also use Sonax sealant and QD so most of the water runs off anyway.

I owned a selection of drying towels before this one - they were good but not nearly as good as the one mentioned - and I was rubbing them over the car to dry it - which is also not so good. I keep them for door shuts and wheels now.

Graham

Used a blade on the BM prior leathering.... But taking care to ensure both car and blade are clean.

However, it has been made redundant since use of towels on both cars. My view is that if using towels, it defeats the object if you use a blade first.

Only my humble opinion.... I'm not an expert though :dont know:

I use one one of those las Karcher window vacs. It's great !. I've never had an issue with scratches and it dries the car in seconds :thumb:

I used to use one before I knew better.

Spent hours on my car with a DA bringing the paint up to a glass like finish, only to undo it all with a blade!

Only ever use high quality microfibres now & sometimes use the blade on glass.

Had the new one up to the same standard until it went in for a service at my local OPC.

Now, after it was washed with I imagine a broom, I'm going to have to start all over again!

I cannot really see the logic of all this "Do not use them". Surely if there is dirt on the car a blade much the same as a brilliant, really high quality, very, very expensive, premium brand, highly recommended, detailer's microfibre towel will do. What is the difference????? You have either successfully cleaned the car or you have not when you are drying it :roll: .

I am not a 'pro' obviously but I use one to get rid off the excess water. The blades are so soft they work on curves and large flat surfaces. It certainly reduces the time with a microfibre on all my cars.

Pip :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back