Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anybody really drive their 993 anymore?

wozy

Sao Paulo
I don't mean pootling to a show or a leisurely drive out to the Cotswolds ..... I mean REALLY drive them as intended.

I skived off work for the day last week. Weather was good, roads were dry and thought sod it I'm off to the great empty B roads of North Devon.

I mumbled down the M5 from deepest Worcestershire and then let rip west of Taunton for a circular trip of around a 100 miles of great great B road nirvana and i thrashed my 911 for mile after mile and bloody loved it and I mean mile after lovely mile of high revs and hard breaking.

Pulled over for some fuel for the homeward trip and as I walked back to the car I realised that in my 10 years of ownership I've never come across another 993 being driven as it was designed to do.

So am I the only one who still drives one like it was designed for, this side of a track day?

PS LWF comes into its own on a day out like that.

Meant to be driven or designed to do so, I suspect that may be opened to interpretation Wozy...?

I note your "signature" and as such :-

As according to Kevin Gaskell the then MD of PCGB I had the privilege of being the first private individual in the UK to drive the 993 at it`s launch, I don`t know that I drove it as it was meant to be driven but I managed a bit of wheelspin and some oppo when powering up rounding the apex of a tight bend, I doubt I was doing more than 40MPH and was mightily impressed with the low down power compared with my then 10 year old SC... (-:

I thought the 993 had moved on considerably from the rather more raw sportscar that was my SC, given the addition of power steering, ABS, and the redesign of the whole suspension system to reduce the former challenging "tail happy" tendency if one lifted off near the apex... Yup it seemed to me that the 993 provided a more insular driving experience than it`s predecessor, which may have more suited the evolving tastes of Porsche buyers..?

At the time my thinking was that to really enjoy the 993 one would likely be making more use of it`s amazing performance than was necessary in my old SC.... Which seemed to have a tad more licence risking potential for the 993 buyers....?

Yeah well time moves on, and my PDK equipped 991 C4S has comfort and safety options a plenty with digitally controlled gizmology to determine better options than might I in miserable weather, or should I get over enthusiastic...With circa 400HP on tap I wonder how it was meant to be driven, or designed to be so... My guess it was designed to fit as wide a spectrum of possible Porsche buyers as might be out in the marketplace, from Porsche city centre Posuers, to track-day hero`s and everyone in between... Whatever floats one`s boat...?

I suspect there are many such as was I when younger who are enamoured with their Porsche and all the hype surrounding the marque, but may be limited financially and thus may be forced to use it sparingly for fear of costs relative to maintenance or repair. Then there are the investors, to whom the market value of their investment may determine it`s usage or lack thereof..? My guess is that regardless of model there will be many to whom value retention may be high on their list of priorities.. As to the way folk should enjoy their Porsches... Each to their own..

Me..? Quite by chance I enjoyed a very early Sunday morning drive in the form of a traffic free run over the same challenging route that I had driven the 993 I may have managed up to 60MPH on the short straights but for the most part I suspect around 40-45MPH and boy was it involving enough for the old man I have become...ZERO wheelspin or oppo even hinted at or required, such is ever advancing technology...?

Yeah Porsche make wonderful machines for sure..Enjoy them as you might and for as long as you can, seems a reasonable way to go... :?:

wozy said:
I don't mean pootling to a show or a leisurely drive out to the Cotswolds ..... I mean REALLY drive them as intended.

:floor: You must be joking chum. Long term owners have potentially made far too much dough on them to drive them other than for service/MOT.

There's only one person I know and that's Phil (HPNer) who uses his 993 as a daily driver in all weathers. It's a peach and the speeds he got up to on a European jaunt back in the day when we all took them was a class act. I asked his co-pilot whether he 'hung on' at the high speeds his reply was classic: "I've worked out that if we crash I'll likely die so it's not worth it" :what:

Sadly his application to join the Illuminati was turned down as soon as he opened the tin of blue paint and went for the DKR full leather interior retrim by Southbound. :roll:

I always drive my cars to track days and roadtrips; "shagged" them until death :)

Speedtrap said:
I always drive my cars to track days and roadtrips; "shagged" them until death :)

You need to update your signature line to contribute to this thread. :D

EDIT = Well done. Looking forward to the drive to Stuttgart in 4 weeks time. :thumb:

I dare say the answer is that few ever did. Expensive sports cars are mainly luxury purchases. Enthusiast purchases are the exception.

So, if anything has changed it's that the cars are being used less, full stop, rather than driven hard less, I would suggest. 993s are pretty old now and values have leapt, so that's going to put off most people using them much, more's the pity. Most owners seem to love their cars going up in value, but I can't see much benefit if you want to actually drive and enjoy the thing. If that's what you want to do, the less it's worth the better.

Everything has become so much more expensive around aircooled cars - parts, labour etc - all because the higher values support higher charges. It's all bad if you ask me.

I don't think so, I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

Or rather, I can, but it was an RWB 933 being driven very enthusiastically, but he's not your typical 993 owner at all.

At the annual get-together, there are well over 400 911s, Boxsters & Caymans, and even a decent line up of 356s, but only a handful of 993s.

:dont know:

Most of my trips out are over the North Yorkshire Moors to exploit the cars refreshed suspension and performance. The car is warmed up properly and then spends most of its time in the upper rev range and all the better for it.

Admittedly the car doesn't get used when salt is on the roads, however it is taxed all year round for those sunny dry weekends & evenings we often get in winter too.

Never been much of a car club, car show type. I'd much rather used as they were designed for.

C.

pothole said:
I dare say the answer is that few ever did. Expensive sports cars are mainly luxury purchases. Enthusiast purchases are the exception.

So, if anything has changed it's that the cars are being used less, full stop, rather than driven hard less, I would suggest. 993s are pretty old now and values have leapt, so that's going to put off most people using them much, more's the pity. Most owners seem to love their cars going up in value, but I can't see much benefit if you want to actually drive and enjoy the thing. If that's what you want to do, the less it's worth the better.

Everything has become so much more expensive around aircooled cars - parts, labour etc - all because the higher values support higher charges. It's all bad if you ask me.

I'm with you on that - I had a relatively new M3 a few years back and couldn't help but worry about mileage, scratches, tyre wear or even God forbid a crash. Any of them would have meant losing £hundreds, possibly £thousands for a very small mistake.

So, for my latest fun car I purposely sort out an unloved model (996T Tip with a sunroof) with a checkered past that needed a lot of TLC so I could (1) modify it to my exact preference and (2) drive it as intended, without worrying about the impact on its value.

Seen two recently. They weren't in motion at the time but were in use for transport duties (one was pulled over with driver still in it, the other stopped for BurgerKing on the A11).

One was very tidy, one had been round the block a few times. Let you decide which was which :lol:

There is a 4S used as a Daily in North Liverpool that I see pretty regularly :worship:

I've parked mine at work whilst I need the garage at home for another use so at least I get to see it regularly :hand:

My 993 Targa last weekend, 260 mile round trip into Wales, absolutely fantastic drive, good quiet roads, good weather, so much fun, could have taken the 992 but this was good fun.

Attachments

• 993x800_324.jpg
    993x800_324.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 4,897
333000 miles on my 964 now, used every day all year round without issues, regular servicing and they are fine, during the average year covering thousands of miles i can honestly say i "might" see one on the road over the course of a year other than on show days etc, they are all locked up unfortunately.
Hi to Zingers etc it been a while :)

Late to the topic...have to post and report on the pre1998 track day (PCGB) at Cadwell Park last week. My first time at that track; certainly not for the feint-hearted as it's narrow, bends are severe and so are the hills. Probably 10 993s at the event including me, all driven hard and fast. They came from all over the country. I spoke to one owner from Cornwall and two from Cumbria.

So yes, some 993s are being 'driven as intended"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markevo6
Back