Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do 991.1 vs 991.2 need different time to warm up?

dng

Is this a thing with all performance cars/general best practice

to get the engine oil up to 80-90 celsius before doing spirited driving e.g. stomping on accelerator?

Does naturally aspirated 991.1 differ in warmup routine to 991.2 in terms of time it takes to get oil temperature up to the level?

Im just wondering if you had a turbo S, you would still then be 5-15mins of gentle driving before really letting it go then? obviously even in that initial warm up phase such a car would be plenty sharp and quick at below 3k rpm

Yup, defo let the oil warm through gently by driving normally, max 3k rpm if possible until oil is at operating temp. This stops undue engine wear, as well as letting transmission oil warm through, and everything expand to operating tolerances.

Best practice in any car really, though only some cars have engine oil temp gauge. I find the water temp on my 996 doesn't get to full op temp until about 10 mins of normal driving, which is probably a good guide.

Also good to let cars 'warm down' if you've had a v hard drive eg track session to let everything cool off a bit before switching off.

I imagine a Turbo S would take a similar time to warm up as other 991s. But yes, still more than enough power in one of those I should think!

One thing I will say is 991.1 cars take a pretty long time to get to operating temp. BUT the GT3s 991.2 literally take a few mins of low rev driving and you're already at operating temp. Crazy how quickly they are ready to go, whereas my GTS for example would take a good 15 mins of driving to get to that level.

Turbo cars from the 991.2 will get warmer a little quicker than the 991.1 as these engines would be working a lot harder and would need oil warmer quicker to run well.

Tiger911 said:
One thing I will say is 991.1 cars take a pretty long time to get to operating temp. BUT the GT3s 991.2 literally take a few mins of low rev driving and you're already at operating temp. Crazy how quickly they are ready to go, whereas my GTS for example would take a good 15 mins of driving to get to that level.

Turbo cars from the 991.2 will get warmer a little quicker than the 991.1 as these engines would be working a lot harder and would need oil warmer quicker to run well.

Interesting to note - recently took delivery of a 997.2S and was wondering whether it was just an older car thing

My motor definitely around the 10-15 mark as you say, so seems even in next generation its the same time process to really 'enjoy'

Its something that I didnt actually realise but good to now know.

I guess even with keeping it below 3k rpm you still get the ability of the more powerful cars so you still do benefit

My twopenneth,

Unless I'm mistaken and I can't say I've really monitored this closely but I'm on Porsche number 8 now, I've had early 996, cayman s 987 and 981, Boxster s x2, Boxster 991 gts and now a 991.1 turbo s.

I'm almost certain that the turbo s engine temp is the fastest to warm up out of all cars that I've owned.
This surprised me quite a lot.

My drive to work initially involves 20-30 min of constant 50mph driving and I find it can take up to 30 mins before oil is up to temp. I'm assuming that if I was in traffic it would be quicker

My 991.1 GT3 has a blue engine light which goes off when engine around 50 degrees which is less than a mile, however I still wait another min or so until it's at 80 degrees before going past 4000 rpm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manx100red
Back