Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dark Knight - the Barn Find, gets Dry Iced

looking good (y)

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I understand the journey is where the fun lies and what has motivated you to do this. I just wonder though, in terms of finances, how do you stand with purchase price plus maintenance works, versus buying one that was already sorted? I think we all would love to find a barn find and execute such a project, but frankly most of us probably have no idea how much a barn find would cost compared to a garage queen/sunday driver? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks. I was mostly documenting this here as a way of safe guarding my knowledge of the journey with it. @jonttt pointed out to me last week that that its proving to be a polpular thread with 15k views in a few months.
In terms of buying the car, I got lucky. Very lucky.
1. For Alex championing me as a trustworthy custodian with the previous owner. Acquisution was bats**t crazy
2. Being able to call upon the expertise of the aircooled illuminati in the NW during the aquisition and recommissiining of DK.
3.Getting a truly solid car
Each cars journey will be different. So far I've spent ~£9k from memory to this point with plenty of headroom for the remainder of the work to bring it up to a mint, condition, usable modern classic. This first year really was about breaking as much as possible, which seems like a weird thing to say.
The upcoming shocks, gearbox and engine leaks are pretty predictable costs. The only shocking cost Ive come across is the redoing of the Targa roof🤯. The top is OK, it's the internal lining that has failed, and the aluminium frame needs freshening up.
Lastly, the paint is "a how long is a piece of string". I'm going to address that next winter, but im pretty firm on that strategy already. I'm going to enjoy what will hopefully be a long, dry, targa roof off summer in a reliable aircooled car.🤞

I am enjoying reading about this adventure. Very cool to see the outputs of the dry ice cleaning.

Perhaps @Chief might have some suggestions on restoring the Targa roof. He is quite the precision expert in the refinishing department based on the epic work in the Project Blue Book thread?

Lets just say he paid more than he wanted but less than he should have :ROFLMAO:

he has not yet factored in any "consultancy fees" !

• Angry
Reactions: FZP
I will make that thread my focus of reading tonight as I'm sure there will be plenty of crossover being of a similar vintage. Hopefully he can provide guidance on the Targa roof, it makes me cry thinking about it

Ian @ Prepworks certainly knows what he’s talking about as he said the cars great but the Alloys are 🤯

I am enjoying reading about this adventure. Very cool to see the outputs of the dry ice cleaning.

Perhaps @Chief might have some suggestions on restoring the Targa roof. He is quite the precision expert in the refinishing department based on the epic work in the Project Blue Book thread?
The dry ice cleaning was interesting, partly as the guy who owns Prep Works is obviously OCD about cars and knows his porsches so he was just good to talk to. He did state that there is often confusion over Ice blasting and sand (or bead) blasting. He does both, sand blasting usually requires parts off and effectively refinishes the part, Ice blasting is less obtrusive, is done with the part in situ and really just cleans the part with the original finish in whatever state that is under the muck. It is therefore less expensive but in practice I think is aimed at doing much larger areas / parts (such as the wheel wells) so is more labour intensive from that point of view.

This is what happens when :

- you use the wrong product
- don't read the instructions
- apply it in the dark with sunglasses on

1000066707.jpg

he is genuinely trying to break it but we help where we can, its like nursery school :ROFLMAO:

Looks ace. Once I wash the car, it will look fantastic. Stunner

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back