Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cruizzzzzzz

theredtr6

As I understand it according to Mr OPC - Computer says no to retro fit Cruise to 993.

Looking through previous forum posts - I can see a couple of articles suggesting aftermarket fit but costly also the posts were a while back - Any new intelligence on this? Prices/easy job/fitted/images/recommendations?

Thanks

In general, mechanical cruise retrofits make hiring a chauffeur look like value for money.

It is exceptionally involved for both parts and labour.

Ex factory is basically a no-no, unless this is your life's ambition project.

The above assumes you meant OEM CC, as there are third-party units that piggy-back various systems and are both cheaper and easier to fit, but for their exact functional capabilities, you'd have to research them (and whether they are still available for sale for such a small market).

mmm its relatively simple on some cars of the era ie on an S54 Z3m its about £100 in parts (ie stalk and bits of trim) and plug in and go. They are "fly by wire" throttle though which I assume make it a lot easier if the wiring harness is pre installed at the factory.

I'm not sure I would want it anyway on a manual 993. I could perhaps see the appeal on a tip though.

That is true, and 996 eGas onwards is trivial.

The 993 is mechanical and is "drive by (pulling a) wire" rather than "drive-by-wire".

It has no pre-loom nor the plethera of old-school sensors for the gearstick, clutch, brake or throttle as an eGas vehicle would.

Then there's the physical actuation of the throttle-body in the engine bay, where an eGas would be all electronic and therefore simply a case of over-ruling the electronic DME signals.

Facing-Brick_large.jpg

:grin: :grin:

GT4 said:
The 993 is mechanical and is "drive by (pulling a) wire" rather than "drive-by-wire".

It has no pre-loom nor the plethera of old-school sensors for the gearstick, clutch, brake or throttle as an eGas vehicle would.
Whilst admittedly not as simple as with CAN bus, it's hardly rocket science:

1. Mount servo unit in engine bay (may need a bracket knocking-up)
2. Connect servo cable to throttle cable
3. Mount control box
4. Pick up power from engine bay fuse box
5. Pick up brake wire from lights
6. Pick up speed wire from tacho' or spoiler control module
7. Add switch/wire to clutch pedal

Have I missed anything?

Possibly not cost effective if you're paying someone else to fit it, but as a DIY I'd imagine that it's eminently do-able...

(Of course, *if* you should fit cruise to a 993 is a different question entirely)

Zuffenhausen :O) said:
Joking aside, I used to have a plastic 500ml Coke bottle in my Defender :?

It wedged nicely between the arm of the accelerator pedal and the top of the bulkhead pedal-box. The knobbly bits on the bottom of the bottle held it in place on the pedal, and the cruise speed was fine-tuned by partially unscrewing the cap :bandit:

Chris993C4 said:
GT4 said:

Whilst admittedly not as simple as with CAN bus, it's hardly rocket science:

1. Mount servo unit in engine bay (may need a bracket knocking-up)
2. Connect servo cable to throttle cable
3. Mount control box
4. Pick up power from engine bay fuse box
5. Pick up brake wire from lights
6. Pick up speed wire from tacho' or spoiler control module
7. Add switch/wire to clutch pedal

Have I missed anything?

Possibly not cost effective if you're paying someone else to fit it, but as a DIY I'd imagine that it's eminently do-able...

(Of course, *if* you should fit cruise to a 993 is a different question entirely)

No, not rocket science (in fact technically, the actual processes for eGas are much more arcane and complex, even if turning them on is easier, as they are already there!)

But a fair few hours work stripping the car down and the OEM parts are eye-watering (if you don't go for the cheaper and easier third-party route I mentioned in my first post).

Chris993C4 said:
Have I missed anything?
Er, actually I have :oops:

8. Mount control stalk in cabin
9. Wire stalk to control box (most likely with pre-formed loom)

Thank God you weren't on the Moon-landings - they'd have arrived without a ladder :grin:

GT4 said:
Thank God you weren't on the Moon-landings - they'd have arrived without a ladder :grin:

Good job they forgot to land on the moon then :?:

Oops, I meant the Nevada-Desert-based-soundstage-landings. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickRas
Back