Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creeking noise

markyd

Took the baby out for a spin round last night no music just the sound of the engine....

However going over bumps I noticed another sound that was not quite as nice !!!

Got a creeking noise front left , when I got back I noticed of I bump the left wing up and down it still does it ? Bushes ? If so I found the powerflex ones any experience with these out there? Easy to fit?

:grin: you really are on the slippery slope.

One of the PSBs (Porsche Service Bulletins) does mention that bushes can simply dry out, and you need to apply some vaseline (to the bush) so if there is no movement in the front sus (see if any noted on the last MOT) then save your money until you find out what REALLY needs doing on the car.

Looking at the tyre-wear over time will help you decide if any work is required, but changing the bushes will probably mean a new GEO (Geometry) setup, which is not cheap and difficult to find someone who can ACTUALLY do it well on a 911.

Many garages will tell you they can. But they can't :wack:

As OC said previously.
A lot of these cars seem to do this in the winter months.
Try spraying the anti-roll bar bushes with a silicon or ptfe lubricant I use GT85. You have to make sure it's "rubber safe" so's not to rot the rubber like 3 in 1 oil spray IIRC.

I'm going to save Zingari from making a post here..

Applying Vaseline to the bush is just about as satisfying a job as you can do , with very positive results. Apply frequently for best results.

And now for a 993 related post ... :p

I had the same creaking suspension problem, more problematic during cold weather , tried everything before getting the lower wish bone bushes changed with some Hartech exchange items .. I got this done some 3 years ago , no creaking since.

Markyd - you're screwed mate.... this time next year your car will be hardly recognisable... :floor:

You have a terminal case of upgraditus if ever I've seen it..

i also have an OCD issue i believe as well, may go to the doctors about it......

I just can stop cleaning the windows with Fast Glass, i actually thought the other day i wonder if i could actually wear away the glass !!! :D

Just want to get these initial bits sorted during these cr*p months so i can enjoy come the spring !!!

i'm changing the door handle seals this weekend as they look a bit rubbish !! i think i just like taking things apart...

No probs with powerflex I and others here have them on the car.

You would be better off with this................I used it on the ARB bushes too, in fact anything rubber, oh err matron!

19603d1343290793-alternatives-copper-grease-brakes-red_rubber_grease.jpg

markyd said:
Are the powerflex ones similar to the ones you had ballcock ?

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/Cat_125.pdf

If you could tell me which ones you replaced would appreciate thanks !

whilst off may as well change 1 and 2?

Whooooosh.

There may be nothing wrong with the bushes you have.

Why not wait until you've learned more about your car, so that if the suspension has to come apart, you only have to pay to do the GEO once.

Is the car on the original dampers? They'll need doing. Original top-mounts? They'll need doing. Track-rod ends ok? Ride and ride height suit your driving style?

I could go on.

Have you found somewhere that can do a 911 GEO yet?

...and that's it, I'm out. :bye:

Probably the ARB bushes OC, the original bushes squeaked on my car due to them being dry, were a bit like a sausage in the mersey tunnel too so binned and replaced with genunine porsche parts (for the purists out there) :puh: , and no squeaking since.

ARB bushes

Hi, to replace the front and rear ARB bushes can you do the work off axel stands or do you need to support the wheels on a ramp. Also do you grease new bushes or not?. I remember in my Subaru days the ARB bushes came with grease to fit but my Porsche indi said fit dry. What do you say?.

The service bulletin......

Untitled_zps48b6faca.png

You might as well replace the bushes and brackets (that the bushes sit in) while your there. The brackets corrode pretty badly. Fairly easy job and pretty cheap too. :thumb:

Thanks James, straight from the horses mouth so to speak, weight on or off the wheels?.

Re: ARB bushes

horse said:
Hi, to replace the front and rear ARB bushes can you do the work off axel stands or do you need to support the wheels on a ramp. Also do you grease new bushes or not?. I remember in my Subaru days the ARB bushes came with grease to fit but my Porsche indi said fit dry. What do you say?.

I used a trolley jack to do all of mine. No need for stands unless you have other work to do. Yes, grease them up. the sachet that comes with the poky bush items.....Here are some gash pictures

POLYBUSHREARANTI-ROLLBARBUSHES_zpsf327d92b.jpg

fishdick_053007.jpg

NEWREARANTI-ROLLBARBUSHES_zpsd38c73ee.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H0wee
Back