Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cordless polishers

System

Monza
Should I get one DA or otherwise? I like detailing my car but simply can't get the basalt black quite as good as I'd like. Swirl marks and the odd scuff here and there. Megs Compound just isn't cutting it - sorry! Plus, my right shoulder is getting tired. My PT laughed her head off!

I've always fancied having a go but I've read it's easy to make things worse. Can it be that hard?

You won't necessarily get better results with a cordless over a corded polisher. It is important to match the right pad to your compound for the desired level of cut. However, if you have been trying to use compound by hand, then don't bother, get yourself a corded DA, it will be much cheaper than a cordless.

In my experience, Porsche clear coat is relatively hard, so does require a fairly aggressive pad and compound.

Yes, I would get a corded polisher over a cordless one but I haven't got easy access to a power socket.

Point taken on the pads. I guess the trick is to not start with too aggressive pads.

As others have said the type pf pad ( microfibre, foam etc ) , the coarseness of the pad and the compound combo will make a significant difference. Also how you are using.a machine ( ie method ) , speed of rotation, pressure and no of passes. The more aggressive pad and compound etc the more refining ( polishing over compounding ) you will have to do. There are huge variances.

In general modern porsche 2 stage paint is pretty hard vs old single stage which tends to be soft. Generally metallic paint will be a lot harder than a solid colour. Basalt black is a lovely colour and being metallic will be a hard paint which after some time will reward with a fantastic depth.

If you have not owned the car from new and truly know the cars history you also need to be mindful that it might have had paint, and might have been previously machine polished etc. This is where a paint depth gauge can really help. They can be bought relatively cheap these days from about £30 upwards.

There are cordless options from Flex and other makes but they will be a lot pricier than a corded variant with an extension cable. If you are using a DA machine and a medium to light pad you will have to be going mad to cause damage.

Using Meguiars compound by hand over a machine is like night and day. If you aren't getting the desired results from the Meguiars compound once using it with a DA machine try stepping the pad up or try a different compound. But note the harsher you go the more refinement you will need to use to take out the marring. Its worth pairing a compound with a polish so if you havent already get the Megs polish to finish it off with a softer DA pad once you have compounded.

Scholl do some good compounds that are easy to work with as do Menzerna so take a look there. The trick is the combo of pad and compound, with the pad doing most of the work generally.

It can take some serious time to properly machine polish a car, its not a quick fix by any means. Also it depends how far you are chasing marks, the trick is to hide not eliminate them- chasing a scratch is when you are most likely to go too far!

Another option if you are a weekend warrior and dont wont to spend a huge amount of time to bring the car up to a decent finish is to use a glaze/filler to bring out the depth and shine and fill in / mask some of the smaller marks. Poorboys Black hole or something like that for example.

Plenty of good Youtube content these days from people like Pan the Organizer / Ammo NYC and ofcourse home grown ones like Forensic Detailing. Look at their backlog for some useful beginners guides.

Jungle

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Jungle. I'm going to give it a shot at some point, but slowly, panel by panel and gradually changing up the pad if needed.

I've gone down the glaze route with Dodo Juice Black Widow wax, which is good but doesn't 'fill' quite as well as some others perhaps. I could get a pro to give it the once over and then I could gently maintain it, but i suspect paint correction is hideously expensive here in Finland.

Take your time and you will find it very rewarding. A DA machine will make life much easier and if you are buying a machine from scratch there are plenty of packs / bundles you can buy that will provide everything you will need to get yourself started. Take a look at websites such as polished bliss, iin2detailing and slims detailing. After a 2-3 passes with a decent compound and pad combo and then 1-2 sets of polishing to reduce the marring you should see some decent results.

Dont chase the really big deep scratches is my advice, just take your time, one panel at a time and be mindful of the edges etc.

Detailing has become very in vogue over the past 3 -5 years and especially during covid times where people have had time on their hands to either clean and detail their own car, or turned to the profession due to a change of career etc. Prices here have come down quite a bit and competition is now high ( in the UK anyway ) there are plenty of mobile valet that will offer a machine polish service, with prices starting from £150 upwards for a single stage correction. Expect to pay more if its in a purpose detail garage or if its a multi stage correction. No idea about Finland sorry, but if you have the patience and enjoy doing it give it a go.

Ofcourse once you have corrected the car you will want to protect it and thats yet another rabbit hole !

Let us know how you get on. 👍

Jungle

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff dussault
Back