Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cooling fans not kicking in

JTBKK

Monza
Hi all

I've just had a low temperature thermostat(71c) and new expansion tank fitted to a 2001 gen 1 996 and the mechanic has noticed that the cooling fans are not kicking in even if the air con is on they won't run.. The fans will operate so it not a failure of the resistors or the fan motors.. Fuses have also been checked.. is there a relay that could have failed ? Any suggestions as to what the problem might be.. The expansion tank was nearly empty and appeared to have dried coolant residue on the outside of the tank when it was removed from the car so I feel the fans had stopped operating before the car was dropped off at the garage..

Thanks
Johnny

As suggested the resistors are the most likely culprit but you can test the relays as below.

Drivers footwell.

5 relays marked '53'

Left to right
#1 not involved
#2 left side low speed
#3 left side high speed
#4 right side low speed
#5 right side high speed

If the resistors are blown then the low speed won't work but the high speed still will be ok.

Seems unlikely that all the relays would have failed but this will at least confirm the operation.

Should work with the ignition off if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• img_4611_199.jpg
    img_4611_199.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,028
  • img_4611_199.jpg
    img_4611_199.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,028
  • img_4608_973.jpg
    img_4608_973.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • img_4608_973.jpg
    img_4608_973.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,028
As stated in my original post the fans are working when tested.. The near side is working in low and high speed.. The off side is running only on high so the resistor has failed so need's replacing that side
The problem is the fans are not cutting in on either speed when the car gets up to temperature or when the air con is switched on

As previously stated .. if you bridge out term 30/87 on the low and high speed fans you will see if the fans , resistors and wiring from relays to them is ok .

You would then fit a donner relay to prove that .. a/c on , low speed relay.

You would then check the feed/earth on term 85/86 to each relay ..

You will only get this with either the a/c switched on for the low speed ( 95 degrees ) .. or an engine temp of 105 or higher for the high speed ....

One of the above will Not work .

Considering you have a low temp stat fitted i kinda doubt you will get the car hot enough to reach this high temp.

If you are relying on the temp gauge to give an accurate reading .. then it doesnt .. you need a tester to see the Actual engine temp .

Wiring diagram is below which i have taken from the Link T8 posted .. i gave details about the system there .

Are you fault finding this or is a garage ?

How did you test the fans ?

Attachments

• fans_1_198_866.jpg
    fans_1_198_866.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 877
  • fans_1_198_866.jpg
    fans_1_198_866.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 877

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members