Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Convertible roof waterproofing

Randolph

Good afternoon/ evening all.
I have just been quoted approx 500.00 (incl VAT) GBP to waterproof the convertible roof on my 1995 993 cabriolet. This quote came after an inspection which concluded that the roof material was a little porous in areas, although extremely clean and in great condition, hence its needs 're-water proofing'.

Questions....

Have you had this job done?
If so, how much did you pay?
Did you consider doing it yourself?

I have found a number of suppliers who offer water proofers for a DIY job... i.e. https://www.renovointernational.com/car-care/ultra-proofer.php

Please give me your thoughts...

Attachments

• 993_493.jpg
    993_493.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 780
A can of Fabsil for a fiver from screwfix.......or if you want to spend a tad more renovo products are ok.

Just use Fabsil Gold, easy to apply and water will bead like it's on your paint. Have tried all products having had convertibles over the last 35 years or so. Fabsil has outperformed them all

I re proofed 3 roofs last year using the renovo product.

My 996 has the same colour roof as yours and this is how i did it:

Firstly wash the roof with the renovo deep clean product using the stiff sponge provided. This will remove an unbelievable amount of grime.

Wash it off and let it dry.

Next using the renovo hood dye of which i still have half a big bottle in the correct colour should you wish to make a take over bid :D , and using a broad paintbrush, apply the dye. A couple of coats is advised. The result will look like a brand new hood.

Finally apply a couple of coats of the hood proofer, using the same (but now clean) brush.

Thats it and it can be done in an afternoon.

Then stand back and admire the finish and how much you have saved.

I did the same to my wifes TT but without re dying the roof: result new looking roof

I also did it to a 30 year old lotus which had clearly never been cleaned, and again without dye just the deep cleaner and the re proofer, result Brand new looking soft top.

I hope this inspires you.

I use this on my E-Type hood:
rHLGU5N.jpg

£30

Yes thats the one.

It has both the cleaner and reproofer plus the special sponge.

Easy job but when you are applying the final proofer make sure you have a big bucket of clean warm water and a sponge......to wash off any proofer that runs onto paint, nightmare if you let it dry but just flood it with plain water and you'll be fine, easy diy job just takes a little time :thumb

Ps I'll do it for £494.99 and a pastie :grin:

kas750 said:
500 quid to do that
Jeez I'm in the wrong job

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I've used Fabsil Gold on a number of convertibles. Easy to apply and water beading is brilliant but I'm thinking of trying something different next time because heavy rain seems to leech out the proofer and you get opaque runs down the windows. Easy enough to clean off but always frustrating. It's happened with every roof with me and I don't think I'm applying too much of the stuff.

I have quite a few green patches coming through a black roof at the moment - will Renovo remove them or do I need to try Milton steriliser (I'm a bi5 reluctant to try that because I think it's perhaps bleach based).

There was some green mildew type 'stuff' along rear sealand the rear deck on the TT but the cleaner got rid of it.

I used the sponge but to get into the crevices i used a 1/2" stiff paint brush.

Maxthedane said:
I've used Fabsil Gold on a number of convertibles. Easy to apply and water beading is brilliant but I'm thinking of trying something different next time because heavy rain seems to leech out the proofer and you get opaque runs down the windows. Easy enough to clean off but always frustrating. It's happened with every roof with me and I don't think I'm applying too much of the stuff.

I have quite a few green patches coming through a black roof at the moment - will Renovo remove them or do I need to try Milton steriliser (I'm a bi5 reluctant to try that because I think it's perhaps bleach based).

I did the GF's mini cab with Milton. Couldn't believe my eyes when I just painted some diluted milton on, left it 40 mins then rinsed with cold water. Looked like a brand new roof.

Maxthedane said:

Use pure soap flakes and warm water to get rid of green mold, readily available from most supermarkets in a box :thumb:

Thank you all for your replies, it is much appreciated. I think I will go for the Renovo solution. I will post pics and a write up once done.

Many thanks again

Ive used renovo stuff before and its pretty good but recently bought a new (to me) product called 303 fabric guard - it is awesome! £20 to cover the whole roof with spray and it works like it hates water - £500 to have that done is obscene

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back