Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

colour code for wheels wanted...

kas750

Zandvoort
Does anybody know of the colour code for the 996 alloys??..I am going to do a couple of small repairs to minor chipping.Thanks

Its highly unlikely you will get it spot on for a number of reasons not least paint mix, definition, age, lacquer type and depth, brush marks, scratches etc etc when touching in. I would be gobsmacked if they are still original paint.

Are you planning to spray or use a touch up? You woudn't go too wrong trying Honda Vogue Silver touch up kit from Halfords which is close to the original. If this appears too dull or grey try Mercedes Star Silver.

If you want a spray can made up then its 9A1 usually, but again it will appear darker once you lacquer it.

Thanks for that Chris.I will be using a mini hvlp gravity fed gun. :thumb:

I wonder if Porsche specced the colour or was it a standard colour from the wheel manufacturer?.. :?:

kas750 said:
Does anybody know of the colour code for the 996 alloys??..I am going to do a couple of small repairs to minor chipping.Thanks

I've seen it referred to as Porsche 1000 Felgen Silver before. HTH

Felgensilber Metallic L9A1 (literally "wheel silver") is the OEM wheel silver.

Wurth Silber (silver) Met. is a good match too (some say identical - much is of course down to undercoat, application and lacquer used).

Even Arctic is acceptable for spot touchup if you just want a simple paint stick solution.

As Chris W suggested, Honda Vogue Silver (from Halfords) is a good match too, if OPC too far away.

I thought Halfords sold (used to sell) the Wurth paint too

But the above advice ssumes the wheels have not been refurb'd in something else.

Job Done!.
I actually used the Honda colour in the end which is a great match!
I used an aerosol of the Honda colour from Halfords to use as the base and did some spot repairs.
I then clear used a 2k clear coat, which I had already had, on the whole wheel.
It took about 4 hrs and probably cost about £10 per wheel in materials.

Looks very smart and glad the colour info helped.

It would be good to see some close ups!

Kas, great results there,.

Just a pointer if you're interested, maybe you are unaware, I was until it was pointed out, the shield on the crested wheels centres, the point of the crest should be directly pointed towards the tyre valve.

I know, I know, but once pointed out to me, I simply had to line them up, I'll hear from you tomorrow lol. :grin:

Does anyone know what wheel caps came standard on the turbo - black crests, coloured crests or turbo script?

wasz said:
They look great!

Did you use lacquer from a rattle can? If so which - last time I did it came out orange peely with halfords clear.
I actually used 2k through my gun,however you should also be able to get decent results with a rattle can.The ambient temperature is a big factor when using an aerosol.It sometimes helps if you put the can in the some hot water to help thin the paint.

scottuk said:
Kas, great results there,.

Just a pointer if you're interested, maybe you are unaware, I was until it was pointed out, the shield on the crested wheels centres, the point of the crest should be directly pointed towards the tyre valve.

I know, I know, but once pointed out to me, I simply had to line them up, I'll hear from you tomorrow lol. :grin:
pmsl! :hand:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back