Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Colour and value

RobPC

Trainee
Hey all. I’m gradually ticking off to do items on the C4S and it’s now ready for a bit more driving, if this rain ever stops.

I’ve recently been let down by a paint smart repair person who was scared that the job is bigger than they could cope with. To be fair, most panels have something that is more than a polish will take care of. This has got me thinking that it might need a respray. Which then got me thinking that there are enough seal grey 911s in this world and it might be interesting to change the colour.

As an ex-Skyline fan, I always wanted a midnight purple GTR. And then I saw this at Friends Green:

IMG_0159.jpeg

So to my question. What impact does a colour change to something like Viola Metallic have on resale values? And how much better would that look with gold sport classic 2 wheels than the black ones :love:?

colour is very much a personal choice,
bold colours do command a premium
but the wrong colour can also not work

This viola looks amazing
personally i dont like black wheels but again it's different for everyone

Colour should never be at the expense of finding the best mechanical car for your budget

I'd have gold wheels with the purple, tweaking the viola purple to have a gold flake in it, matching the wheels.
Colour should never be at the expense of finding the best mechanical car for your budget
Amen to that!

If anyone's interested in the car, its here. £30k, full engine rebuild, 95k miles. Not my can and I've no affiliation. Just love the colour.

but that car is let down by it's swap shop 996.2 and 997 interior that is grey black and yellow

ironically the value of the exterior is then lost by the interior :ninja:

full engine rebuild, they do state "full engine build with 6x new cylinder liners and an upgraded EPS cylindrical IMS bearing"
1699636732977.png

Hey all. I’m gradually ticking off to do items on the C4S and it’s now ready for a bit more driving, if this rain ever stops.

I’ve recently been let down by a paint smart repair person who was scared that the job is bigger than they could cope with. To be fair, most panels have something that is more than a polish will take care of. This has got me thinking that it might need a respray. Which then got me thinking that there are enough seal grey 911s in this world and it might be interesting to change the colour.

As an ex-Skyline fan, I always wanted a midnight purple GTR. And then I saw this at Friends Green:

View attachment 94032

So to my question. What impact does a colour change to something like Viola Metallic have on resale values? And how much better would that look with gold sport classic 2 wheels than the black ones :love:?
Like it or not, a bold factory colour can enhance value, but a respray or wrap does not hold the same appeal, even less so in a custom colour. A full colour change is also a lot more expensive than just addressing the outer surfaces in the original colour.
If I were you I’d think about colouring e.g. the wheel centres, mirror caps and some other details, perhaps graphics, to incorporate your preferences.

Viola Met Pearl a beautiful PTS colour but certainly no value is lost IMO if its a decent colour change as restomod market has really changed previously held old fashioned views on this. Values depend on how a restored 911 drives not just how it looks as they're drivers cars.

Before and after pics of mine post repaint. A 996 that RPM did that is to die for. https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/porsche-sales/vehicle/996-csr-evo/

:)

v8EKP3Bs (1).jpg

NKU64N4D.jpg

I'm all for interesting color choices - all those black and silver paints can make even a 911 an extremely boring car. However - isn't the VIN police going to scream when the color won't match?

Does not seem to matter on say a Tuthill or a Singer. ? A bitsa multi coloured owned by Magnus Walker sold for £315,000 plus sales commissions a few days ago. Vin police type will all soon be 6 ft under lol!

BB47CAD4-AE29-453C-8DBE-69066E6670D9.jpeg

I forgot to mention 964 reimagined by Singer to DLS spec cost owners $1.6m to $2.2m and they did a run of 75 of these ultimate na aircooled. Quite a few of the owners use them too. Currently changing hands (in a heart beat) for £3.7m. Extreme example but vin says they’re a guards or whatever 964..

Thankfully you don’t have to spend anything like that if you find a good paint shop like Riviera, Precision Porsche , RPM, Autofarm, Porsche Central Operations there are so many decent restoration companies in UK I think even Richard Hammond has recently set one up. Happy days. Any old fashioned type that says you shouldn’t mess with a 996 or 997 etc in wrong century. Times really have moved on. That 72 MW outlaw making £315,000 absolutely extraordinary.

I’m not saying this value appreciation will ever happen to 996 or 997 but a quality paint job certainly will not be detrimental to a good 911s value IMO. I’d love to own the purple RPM 996. Very special.

Nogaro Blue PTS never seen another one!!

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpeg
    IMG_2785.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
That EPS bearing is a downgrade. FACT!

My friend's old car the Viola 996.1. On the interior being a downgrade, I thought the 997 sports seats were a great addition, but to each their own.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back