Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch Pedal spring

ashtonjay

Trainee
I think my clutch pedal is a bit too firm to be honest

i was give an official porsche new clutch pedal spring when i bought mine last week, will it make the clutch pedal softer and is it an easy fit?

any links to tutorials would be greatly apprieciated too if possible

thank you

Some people remove the spring for better feel, but this will make it heavier.

Given you've been supplied the part with your car, I'd guess the previous owner had removed it for this reason.

It's not difficult to do, but access is limited, so it helps if you're small/flexible. You'll need to remove the air conduit section under the dash & by the pedals which obstructs access. The following have some diagrams & steps for removing/replacing it, which should help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/343297-improved-clutch-action-dramatically-2.html

https://www.renntech.org/topic/13367-clutch-booster-spring-removal/

https://members.rennlist.com/jandreas/Clutch Pedal Noise.pdf

boostspring.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have bodybuilder legs or the driving senses of Sir Lewis therefore I felt my clutch pedal was way too firm when I bought my car in Dec with c. 77k miles.

One of the first thing I did was replace the clutch pedal spring and although it was a PITA to fit it is one of the best "mods" I've done to the car. The clutch now just feels like a normal car, i.e I don't really think about it, whereas before it was really heavy.

Plus also it used to feel like it was catching on something and occasionally made a squeaking noise, presumably this was the broken/knackered spring inside. Now everything is smooth and silent.

Definitely worth doing, but its a lying on your back in the footwell for 2 hours while you swear a lot job!

looks like an absolute ballache especially for a guy with -zero patience
ill get a mechanic to sort it i think
unless anybody in Manchester fancies a little earner?

I replaced a faulty ignition switch on my 996 this this morning. Bit of a ball ache but doable by removing the light switch/vent assembly on the dash.

At the same time, I was looking at replacing the clutch pedal spring but it does look difficult to get to.

Does the connector for the cruise control switch just pull off? Or does the yellow bit on the connector need unclipping somehow?

I had mine off a few month ago. Once you've done it it's easy, but first time is a bit of a faff. Easier if you have a cab as you've more room.

Wrote some stuff here that may help: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=148455

ap1818 said:
I replaced a faulty ignition switch on my 996 this this morning. Bit of a ball ache but doable by removing the light switch/vent assembly on the dash.

At the same time, I was looking at replacing the clutch pedal spring but it does look difficult to get to.

Does the connector for the cruise control switch just pull off? Or does the yellow bit on the connector need unclipping somehow?

There was an orange switch on the top of clutch pedal? That was easier when it was off, I'm not sure about a cruise control switch as mine isn't blessed with cruise control.

Same switch.

Ahh yes realised that you have to lift the tabs either side of the connector to release it.

I managed to push the clutch down with 2 hands and then hold it with 1, but didn't have the flexibility or energy to then pry out the spring assembly.

I also used some coat hanger wire in the hole to hold the spring in position but not sure it was strong enough as it was bending really easily. I'll try something harder like a hex key.

I will have to try again!

From memory I think I used a length of wood (seat to pedal) to keep the pedal depressed when I changed that on my last car. Agree with Alex that having a cab made it easier. Might be harder if I need to do that on my current car.

I have this same issue with a stiff clutch despite having the clutch only recently replaced. Does anyone have the part number for the helper spring please?

X911 said:
I have this same issue with a stiff clutch despite having the clutch only recently replaced. Does anyone have the part number for the helper spring please?

It's in the photo a few posts above...

corneg1 said:
From memory I think I used a length of wood (seat to pedal) to keep the pedal depressed when I changed that on my last car. Agree with Alex that having a cab made it easier. Might be harder if I need to do that on my current car.

I have a cab and changed the spring with the roof up. Didn't really do me any favours with it being down. A piece of wood should do it, I got my boy to sit in the front seat and push it down with his foot.

I'm not calling my boy a piece of wood!! :grin: :grin: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back