Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning the inside of wheels

rossman999

Spa-Francorchamps
What the title says really - I don't mind taking the wheels off once a month but surely there must be a tool or technique for a quick wash.

The wheels are Carrera sport so the spokes are too close to get your hand all the way in -especially on the rear.
The rims are well waxed but water pressure alone wont shift the built up dust

On previous cars, i have always found a brush works well but the C4S has such wide rims its not really working :nooo:

Suggestions

Previously I always used a product known as the EZ Detail Brush and it was superb for cleaning the inner part of the alloys.

I was given a Halfords microfibre style brush which I now use on my Sport Designs with equal success.

I too use the EZ detail brushes (small and large) the smaller one to get behind the spokes and the larger one to clean the inside of the rims. The stalk is a bendy metal so it can be shaped.

Ocean Blue said:
The stalk is a bendy metal so it can be shaped.

Please don't....well unless you want to scratch your wheels! Honestly the bendy spine is much harder than the bristles which move out of the way and allow metal to contact with your spokes.

I just cannot believe how badly served the market is. There is only one design of brush that is 100% safe and they are called Wheel Woolies and around £45 for a set of 3.

When I get time I will design one and get it to market :grin:

Hi Chris,
The EZ detail brush is bendy metal however it's pvc coated with a nodder on the tip of the brush. Gert from Elite detailing recommended them and where part of a whole heap of stuff bought off him a couple of years ago. I just keep renewing them every year. The brushes your punting look reasonable and worth a shot, however the only reservation I would have is how to clean the rear of the spokes.

Ocean Blue said:
Hi Chris,
The EZ detail brush is bendy metal however it's pvc coated with a nodder on the tip of the brush. Gert from Elite detailing recommended them and where part of a whole heap of stuff bought off him a couple of years ago. I just keep renewing them every year. The brushes your punting look reasonable and worth a shot, however the only reservation I would have is how to clean the rear of the spokes.

Fair do's if you are confident its safe, just few are. All it takes is for the tip cover to fall off....Gurch himself rates the Woolies but supply/price is extortionate due to exclusive distribution.

I don't punt or sell any brushes. Just see the damage. :grin:

Chris W said:
Ocean Blue said:
The stalk is a bendy metal so it can be shaped.

There is only one design of brush that is 100% safe and they are called Wheel Woolies and around £45 for a set of 3.

When I get time I will design one and get it to market :grin:

I used them for the first time today and they are absolutely fantastic for the inside, all 4 wheels cleaned in under 10 minutes -well done that man :D

I have the EZ Brush and also the Wheel Woolies - the WW are excellent for cleaning the inside of the wide rims. :thumb:

Ducky, Rossman,
Are you cleaning behind the spokes as well :?:
If so what are you using.
Did you buy all three brushes at full price :) or find them a little cheaper than the £45.
I'm interested, however it's good to hear a little more detail.

OB

Ocean,

I've had my wheels off and coated with Gtechniq C5, this helps stop any dirt sticking to the insides.

I find the large WW can get to the back of the spokes (Carrera Classics) enough to clean them. I have all three brushes, brought as a group buy on Detailing World recently for £35 I think. I did pay about £55 for my set prior to that (boars hair, pre-wheel woolies being available).

TBH I don't use the EZ brush on wheels much since buying them.

They do an angled WW now also, but I don't see why you couldn't warm up one of the smaller brushes and bend it into an angle (might try this with my old set).
:)

Glad my suggestion was worthwhile!

I can help with the back of spokes, I do sell s superb mini mitt that is lambswool and perfect for reaching in tight spaces. Drop me an email I'll send pics. They are £10 and excellent for all washing.

Ducky,
I too have nano sealed the inside of the rims, however even the Karcher will not always shift everything, even the 90 degree lance hence the bent brush. Thanks for that tip on Gtechniq C5 and angled ww. I'll give that a go come end of September. I'm using R222 wheel cleaner (just about to order a couple of bottles tomorrow in fact) which is as a neutral ph cleaner as I've found. :thumb:

I avoid any sort of wheel cleaner, as these tend to reduce the properties of any protection you may have sealed the wheels with. I currently wash my car (and wheels) with Gtechniq G-Wash to maximise the life of the coatings.

I do wash the car often (every 1 or 2 weeks), so it's not like the dirt builds up too heavily (circa 500miles worth of dirt). :thumb:

I recently sanded, painted and clear coated the inside of my rear wheels as an experiment. Had new tires fitted and balanced a few days later.

I use Wurth Intensive Wheel Cleaner - which I am not sure you can even buy in the UK, an then hit it with the water blaster with an offset tip and they are then CLEAN.

Will do the fronts in a couple of months to match which are much harder to clean. So can recommend the paint and clear of the insides.

I have Turbo wheels so bit different cos I can get hand in to clean, but I purchased some "Poorboy's World , Wheel Sealer" cost £14 + postage, its a Pink wax paste and after 3 coats of the stuff it seems to be brilliant, brake dust wipes of using a spray of Detailer and a microfiber cloth, leaving a really high gloss shine, time will tell but the inner rims look so much cleaner, mind you I have driven fairly sensibly ie not hammering the brakes too much so they might be not producing too much dust. What irritates me is the rust inside the ventilated rim of the discs that is visable, think Porsche could coat it better on genuine discs!!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back