Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clay Bar

SaintsPaul

Nurburgring
A good friend of mine, who wins concours events for fun, has recommended Bilt Hamber soft clay bar. He finds it easy to use and as a bonus it only needs water as a lubricant.

Anybody use this product and what are your thoughts ?

Also I have a silver car so what polish and wax products do people recommend ?

I already own Meguiars polish and Poorboys wax but I think the latter is best for dark colour cars.

Thanks in advance

I have used the BH bars, they are very good but I found that they go hard after a while, so best to get one when you're going to use it, rather than store it for long periods.

TBH I think having waxes for certain colour cars is more a sales ploy than anything else :?: any decent wax will make the car look better than none at all. :thumb:

I use Poorboys Diamond Glaze for light, and silver finishes, and Zymol polish, car usually ends up looking wet, it's Meridian Silver.

Yes I have used the Bilt Hamber clay bar, and it is excellent, AND as you say you only need water. I keep them in the box and haven't noticed it going hard :eek:

I have used Zaino Z2 and Z8 on the car for the past few years, and in Polar Silver it looks OK to me.

mirror-s.JPG

I will be trying something else next though, just to try something different. :eek:

I generally use Megs clay bars but never tried them with only water.

Any clay bar will make a huge difference to the paintwork!

:) I'am a big fan of Zaino products

Thanks for all of that chaps :thumbs:

I will hope to give the Pork a really good clean in a couple of weeks

After a mammoth cleaning session yesterday I have lost my clay bar virginity :D
My neighbours thought I was some sort of nutjob wiping clay over an already clean car on one of the hottest days of the year :lol:
The thing is that the laborious task is so worth the effort. My car has never looked so good . The amount of rubbish that came off of my paint was amazing.
It really made the polishing and waxing easier and gave the car a deeper lustre.

Sorry no pics but I really am crap at this PC lark.

Guys going to buy some of this BH Stuff after reading this tread, ive never clayed a car before what grade should i get soft,medium or regular :?: :?:

I bought the soft type.
Very easy to use and as I have said so worth the effort.
You will not be disappointed :thumbs:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's neighbours think they are mad. Mine are teachers who drive a Peugeot 106 with the hubcaps missing. I don't think I have ever seen that car being washed. They think I'm nuts when I wash an already clean car. Each to their own.

Kevin.

I was out using my Zaino Z-18 clay bar on the beetle today it's great for getting tree sap etc off the car, used some Z-5 Polish after just got to finish it off with Z-6 tomorrow...sad i know :floor:

Just used BH regular - my first clay experience! Can't believe how good it is. On a 11 year old 996tt the paint is silky smooth. I'll be polishing it tomorrow :)

I used clay for the first time on Saturday. It was pretty hard going as clay was going hard every minute or so as it was so cold.

I let the other piece I was using in hot water, but it didn't stay supple for long!

The main point of the post was that after I washed the car, I was shocked to see what looked like major streak marks all over the car. I made sure I kept very well (if not over) lubed, and kept needing the bar.

I got really worried, but after polish and wax there was nothing left of the streaking. Is this usual?

Yes, you still have to be careful when using a clay bar, as it's possible to marr the paintwork in the process. I would only clay if the car was going to be machine polished afterwards. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back