Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Choices 997GT3 or Gallardo

PhilMorrison

Hi all. I've read the forum for a few weeks and found it very useful, so I thought I'd say hi.
I've just sold my V10 powered M3 daily driver and occasional track toy, and I was pretty much sold on the idea of replacing it with a 997GT3. However the cheese head in me that I can usually keep under control saw a Gallardo drive past this week. So I now have a bit of a battle going on in my head between the slightly sensible very capable 'correct wheel drive' GT3, and the less capable, but in some ways more stimulating Gallardo (in terms of looks/power/sound).
Has anyone owned both that would offer an opinion? I've driven neither yet, so that's the most obvious answer I know ;)

I looked at a 2008 Yellow Gallardo spyder from Sevenoaks lamborghini.

Everyone looks when your driving it. It felt very wide and a bit dated regarding the paddle shift. Performance is on par with my GT3, but the GT3 performance is much more acceable. Better all round car.
Im glad i made my choice. :thumb:

Thanks Darren. I guess for a balanced result I should ask the same question on the Lamborghini forum :D.
Another question related to my decision. I don't think I'd track the Gallardo (I'd probably have to build a track car as well), but a GT3 would have to be tracked; Do people generally have track Insurance for their GT3s? I'm a Destination Nurburgringaholic. Do people have Insurance coverage there? What sort of price per event should I expect?
Cheers all for dealing with the newbie questions. I have used the search with no results on this.

For looks the Lambo is always going to win.

For tracking and the ability on track, then the 911 Gt3 wins every other contest, RWD is the key here.

Hey there,

Can't believe the you have sold the v10, that was so cool.

I had this dilemma before I bought the gt3, however the main thing that put me off the lambo was the running cost.
However I don't think you'll have the same problem as you could do most of the labour work.

Its a pretty hard choice but why dont you just test drive both and see if that helps you.

I've been driving modified cars for over ten years and the gt3 is the first car I feel is almost perfect. It's like a good modified car out the box. Could do with some extras things but very close to being perfect non the less.

PhilMorrison said:
... Do people generally have track Insurance for their GT3s? I'm a Destination Nurburgringaholic. Do people have Insurance coverage there? What sort of price per event should I expect?

Anybody who wants track Insurance for DN would be well advised to look at the Porsche-specific policy here

It saves so much time, money & hassle to have unlimited trackday cover included in your road policy. The 'ring is always tricky to get Insurance on anyway, even for ATDO member trackdays, but this is painless.

Just for illustration, I pay less that £1K on my GT3 for an unlimited mileage policy with unlimited trackdays. Excess on trackdays is the normal 10%.

Yeah the V10 M3 was a special car, and I do wonder if letting it go is a wise choice. But I'd spent 5 years with it, and after ploughing nearly a GT2's worth of money into it, I didn't really have any further to go.
I guess that's where the Gallardo gains some points, as the GT3 would just be another GT3 doing it's super efficient thing. But the Gallardo would be a bit more of a ridiculous toy, as I'd more than likely end up making a twin turbo kit for it down the line.
The servicing costs of the Gallardo don't seem too far off GT3 costs, but the possible out of warranty major faults, for instance an engine failure would be considerably different.

NXI20 said:
PhilMorrison said:
... Do people generally have track Insurance for their GT3s? I'm a Destination Nurburgringaholic. Do people have Insurance coverage there? What sort of price per event should I expect?

Anybody who wants track Insurance for DN would be well advised to look at the Porsche-specific policy here

It saves so much time, money & hassle to have unlimited trackday cover included in your road policy. The 'ring is always tricky to get Insurance on anyway, even for ATDO member trackdays, but this is painless.

Just for illustration, I pay less that £1K on my GT3 for an unlimited mileage policy with unlimited trackdays. Excess on trackdays is the normal 10%.

Very useful indeed! Thank you for the heads up. I presume it doesn't cover Touristenfahrten? I only do trackdays there nowadays after one of our group learnt the hard way about tourist days.

PhilMorrison said:
Yeah the V10 M3 was a special car, and I do wonder if letting it go is a wise choice. But I'd spent 5 years with it, and after ploughing nearly a GT2's worth of money into it, I didn't really have any further to go.
I guess that's where the Gallardo gains some points, as the GT3 would just be another GT3 doing it's super efficient thing. But the Gallardo would be a bit more of a ridiculous toy, as I'd more than likely end up making a twin turbo kit for it down the line.
The servicing costs of the Gallardo don't seem too far off GT3 costs, but the possible out of warranty major faults, for instance an engine failure would be considerably different.

Yeh I understand as it was pretty Complete package, Is it staying in the uk?

You could go do more to the gt3 but the you might as well get the RS. If rwb brung a kit for the 997, that would be awesome plus some more performance upgrades but then you'd probably need to keep it for along time or trying to sell it might take ages.
Twin turbo lambo would be awesome, plus you could develop a kit and make money from it too :D

When i asked Lamborghini the service cost i fell over

£1,500 Minor
£2,500 Major
Every 12 months :sad:

PhilMorrison said:
I presume it doesn't cover Touristenfahrten?

Cover for TF is to all intents & purposes unavailable for UK registered cars.

PhilMorrison said:
I guess that's where the Gallardo gains some points, as the GT3 would just be another GT3 doing it's super efficient thing. But the Gallardo would be a bit more of a ridiculous toy, as I'd more than likely end up making a twin turbo kit for it down the line...

There is plenty that you can do to a GT3. Just ask NXI20 about his 3.9 conversion and list of mods so extensive that his car has been likened to Trigger's broom..... :wink:

Disco said:
PhilMorrison said:
I guess that's where the Gallardo gains some points, as the GT3 would just be another GT3 doing it's super efficient thing. But the Gallardo would be a bit more of a ridiculous toy, as I'd more than likely end up making a twin turbo kit for it down the line...

There is plenty that you can do to a GT3. Just ask NXI20 about his 3.9 conversion and list of mods so extensive that his car has been likened to Trigger's broom..... :wink:

..Has it actually got any standard parts left in it ?...most of the body shell
no doubt...radiators ? :?:

Nick, how did the wheels turn out on the GT2 ? :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YJY
Back