Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Chipping 996s

rikki griffiths

Trainee
Joined
24 Apr 2004
Messages
53
Got the induction kit, exhaust, short shift etc. Anyone chipped a 3.4 996? Spoken with DMS Auto who are nice enough & promise a lot but seem to have a problem in delivering. Fabspeed advertise but I'm wary about doing it myself as I can't change a bulb. Realising that I'm just delaying inevitable GT3, but house move is a drag.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15205
 
Hi

I am a 996 3.4 owner in Australia,have the mods you have done been of any benefit,Gembala Australia will remove computer and send to Germany to chip it,cost $5000.00 aus dollars,do you know anyone that has chipped a 3.4?

Laurie


Migration info. Legacy thread was 17030
 
rikki griffiths said:
Got the induction kit, exhaust, short shift etc. Anyone chipped a 3.4 996? Spoken with DMS Auto who are nice enough & promise a lot but seem to have a problem in delivering. Fabspeed advertise but I'm wary about doing it myself as I can't change a bulb. Realising that I'm just delaying inevitable GT3, but house move is a drag.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15205

A very nice chap at DMS Auto informed me that my MPG consumption would actually increase with his 20bhp chip, which I find incredible!

can this be true?!
 
I had the GIAC chip/remap done on my 3.4 It had the X51 pack already with an apparent 10stage map from Porsche. The GIAC smoothed the power delivery and gave it a bit more grunt in the lower revs. In my eyes it was well worth the £699, but it could just be a placebo effect :thumb:
A map won't 'magic' horsepower from thin (cold) air but it will help tie in the mods you've already done. You will see gains but not anything like the manufacturers claims...
 
Stuart said:
I had the GIAC chip/remap done on my 3.4 It had the X51 pack already with an apparent 10stage map from Porsche. The GIAC smoothed the power delivery and gave it a bit more grunt in the lower revs. In my eyes it was well worth the £699, but it could just be a placebo effect :thumb:
A map won't 'magic' horsepower from thin (cold) air but it will help tie in the mods you've already done. You will see gains but not anything like the manufacturers claims...

Cheers Stuart, and do you know about consumption? Does seem a little bit strange that it would actually increase, when manufacturors normally try to give the best balance between power and MPG, but maybe?

Edward
 
There are a whole load of criteria that a manufacturer has to take into account, for different reasons, when mapping the ECU: Driveability and reliability (customer satisfaction), acceleration & top speed (marketing), emmissions and economy (taxation, marketing and legislation).

When you remap, you inevitably compromise one or more of the above, but you may also gain in some areas as well.

Fuel economy is measured on a combination of urban and extra-urban cycles, where the car never exceeds 100 kph, and full throttle acceleration is rarely used. As we all know, this is not how we drive! (Especially with a Porsche). So, remapping to improve engine breathing at full throttle at say 4,500 rpm will not be reflected in the official test (would probably make it worse at low revs), but will mean the car is more efficient at speed and so you may well see an improvement in your actual mpg! :)

I remember 20-odd years ago, BMW did some tests to find the most fuel efficient way to drive and it came out as full throttle acceleration to max revs in each gear until the required speed was reached and then put it in top gear and stay at a steady speed! Also, brake as late and as hard as possible! :D :D :D

However, this was before the days of variable valve timing, electronic ignition, fuel injection, and fuel cut-off on over-run :wink:
 
re from Wattie:

"There are a whole load of criteria that a manufacturer has to take into account, for different reasons, when mapping the ECU: Driveability and reliability (customer satisfaction), acceleration & top speed (marketing), emmissions and economy (taxation, marketing and legislation).

When you remap, you inevitably compromise one or more of the above, but you may also gain in some areas as well. "


Sorry but I don't agree with any of the above -

Why?

more power :thumbs:
never ever heard of a 911 engine blowing up due to a re-map :thumbs:
never ever heard of a 911 engine being unreliable due to a re-map :thumbs:
better acceleration :thumbs:
better mpg(usually or at least the same) :thumbs:
better top speed :thumbs:
emissions - easily pass the MOT so it's another :thumbs:
never heard of anyone being unhappy with a re-map(re cust sat) so it's yet another :thumbs:


...and before we all cry about saving the planet most of our 911's spew out some of the worse emmissions in std form straight out the factory!

Did you buy your 911 because it was eco friendly LOL?
 
wizard993 said:
re from Wattie:

"There are a whole load of criteria that a manufacturer has to take into account, for different reasons, when mapping the ECU: Driveability and reliability (customer satisfaction), acceleration & top speed (marketing), emmissions and economy (taxation, marketing and legislation).

When you remap, you inevitably compromise one or more of the above, but you may also gain in some areas as well. "


Sorry but I don't agree with any of the above -

Why?

more power :thumbs:
never ever heard of a 911 engine blowing up due to a re-map :thumbs:
never ever heard of a 911 engine being unreliable due to a re-map :thumbs:
better acceleration :thumbs:
better mpg(usually or at least the same) :thumbs:
better top speed :thumbs:
emissions - easily pass the MOT so it's another :thumbs:
never heard of anyone being unhappy with a re-map(re cust sat) so it's yet another :thumbs:


...and before we all cry about saving the planet most of our 911's spew out some of the worse emmissions in std form straight out the factory!

Did you buy your 911 because it was eco friendly LOL?

Intersting seeing to different opinions, and teh results of BMW's survey.

My main concern is with MPG, becuase although my C2 gives good (relatively!) MPG on the open road, I do 90% of my driving sadly in London, where the MPG is absymal!

Therefore if I could raise MPG I would be very keen for this!
 
It will be interesting to see all views and feedback of people who have remapped their ECUs, as im also thinking of going down this avenue, just to get more mid range grunt...
However, the point about MPG to me seems slightly on the irrelvant side, so long as it does not massively deacrease the MPG, the overall gain is evenly spread power is the main aim (as BHP increase claims you need to take with a fist full of salt). :p
The main reason we all went for a Porsche is the driving experience of a top marque and the power, fuel consumption never came in the equation, as if that was the case we would be on PriusUK.com!!!!! :floor:
99% of my driving is in london, and to be honest i dont bother looking at the mpg figures....i just enjoy the car! :thumbs:
 
Hi

Had all the aforementioned mods, then the remap, resulting in better throttle response and mid range pickup, MPG is marginally better than in standard form

- Simon
 

Forum statistics

Threads
124,571
Messages
1,441,646
Members
48,997
Latest member
Nick Forest
Back
Top