Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Checking cars for original panels

Jcx

Hi folks, i recently read (tho already i dont recall where) that one can tell if wings are original items or newly fitted by virtue of a spot weld somewhere. Can you remind me where that is please?

Also when viewing cars to buy what should i be looking for to know that panels are original? Where is the all important laser sticker located? Chassis number etc.

If any ofyou have pics to support explanation that would be so helpful. I'll probably get a PPI but this information will help me only shell out on that when i feel that i have already sorted the wheat from the chaff.

Cheers jcx

Jcx, just look on eBay (just type 'Porsche 964') for a book 'Essential buyers guide' about a tenner. It will cover all the points to look out for as I think there are too many to mention here.

There has been a lot of debate as to wether to buy cheap or expensive. Either way you will get caught up and spend a shed load :grin:

Chief said:
Jcx, just look on eBay (just type 'Porsche 964') for a book 'Essential buyers guide' about a tenner. It will cover all the points to look out for as I think there are too many to mention here.

There has been a lot of debate as to wether to buy cheap or expensive. Either way you will get caught up and spend a shed load :grin:

Tx chief. I'll look for the book... Busy reading ur thread on the baron :)

A paint thickness gauge might give you some good clues as well. Generally when panels are changed and painted in a bodyshop the paint will be much thicker than the original paint. Large variations in thickness across the car are also a good clue. Obviously this doesn't tell you if the panels are original and re-painted vs. changed panels, but all good info anyway.

MC

Nice suggestion MC. Will helfords sell such a thing?

Chief, two books hurtling towards me courtesy of Amazon Prime :). Top tip. Tx again.

Well known saying.

Every 964 is a $30,000 car.

What this means, in essence, if that you buy for $30,000, no worries.

If you buy for $20,000 you need to spend $10,000.

Pretty accurate.

PeterS said:
Well known saying.

Every 964 is a $30,000 car.

What this means, in essence, if that you buy for $30,000, no worries.

If you buy for $20,000 you need to spend $10,000.

Pretty accurate.

So if i buy for 35k i have been had? ;-)

The only thing in my glove box was a spare relay and a biro :dont know:
Don't recall seeing any cash :?: in fact since owning this car I don't recall having any cash left :grin:

Good luck on your hunt, keep us posted :bye:

Chief said:
The only thing in my glove box was a spare relay and a biro :dont know:
Don't recall seeing any cash :?: in fact since owning this car I don't recall having any cash left :grin:

Good luck on your hunt, keep us posted :bye:

barely a month passed without expenditure. Geepers! Bad luck or just about par for the course?

New replacement rear quarter panels have an extra tab but any good body shop putting on a new panel will cut these off ,you also can not remove a front wing with out breaking a spot weld ,it is located in the space just below the bottom corner of the windscreen and it is visible whe you have the door open

20 + year old cars are prone rust I would be happy to have new panels fitted :grin:

I would be more worried about filler and whats underneath it !!

Every thing is fixable though :thumb:

Thx clinchy. Very useful. This all feels scary, but then some of the best fun to be had is scary.

Crack on sunshine, don't get panicky yet....there's plenty of time for that later :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pacific7174
Back