Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheapest way to transform the 997.1 PSE?

joshkbaker

Silverstone
Hi Guys,
I'm about to buy a 997.1 C4S, it has the sports exhaust but after looking at some aftermarket ones. I found FABspeed's exhaust to sound unbelievable.
The problem is, a lot of these videos I found didn't really explain their setup properly. In some cases, they had just headers of the FABspeed but didn't mention other parts of their exhaust.

Any pointers, I'm new to this stuff and I know some of you are going to say, 'YOU HAVEN'T EVEN GOT THE CAR YET YOU MIGHT LOVE THE STOCK PSE'. I'm still curious at what cost to make the car sound close or exactly like the videos below.

Is it the case of just removing a small part but keeping the PSE in tact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw2bc3kQVH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wncXU7A1KDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oLiuNvUFQ - A GT3 AND SHARKWERKS BUT IS IT POSSIBLE?

Thanks

Josh

X pipe and 200cel cats on the PSE would be my first port of call. PSE sounds great.

Robertb said:
X pipe and 200cel cats on the PSE would be my first port of call. PSE sounds great.

Thanks, could you clarify the X-pipe thing.
I see people doing this gundo hack that imitates the X pipe from the PSE? Is that correct or am I wrong. If that's the case, wouldn't the PSE already have an X pipe?

X pipe is completely different to the partial silencer bypass of the PSE/Gundo hack. It changes the routing of the exhaust flow after the silencers which changes the sound.

The gundo hack is just a bypass pipe welded in the standard silencers, usually badly from what I have seen online, the effect on sound will depend on the size of the connecting pipe used.

X-pipe cats, usually 200 cell, is a one piece item that replaces the two section cat pipes that cross over. For sound, the x-pipe is the best bang for your buck, gets rid of the nasty farty sound at low revs too!

X-Pipe.png

DucatiRob said:
The gundo hack is just a bypass pipe welded in the standard silencers, usually badly from what I have seen online, the effect on sound will depend on the size of the connecting pipe used.

X-pipe cats, usually 200 cell, is a one piece item that replaces the two section cat pipes that cross over. For sound, the x-pipe is the best bang for your buck, gets rid of the nasty farty sound at low revs too!

X-Pipe.png

Ah makes sense, I saw them exact ones on the topgear site. Can't really find any sound examples though.

To quote you 'YOU HAVEN'T EVEN GOT THE CAR YET YOU MIGHT LOVE THE STOCK PSE'

But I understand where you are at, I have been looking at Youtube, the different forums, etc. and there's a lot of talk about mods.

I have a 2006 4S and I love the PSE. Give it a go and go to some meets to hear other cars with their mods. You also have people selling kit in the Car Parts section, so you can pick up a deal there.

CB911C4S said:
I have a 2006 4S and I love the PSE. Give it a go and go to some meets to hear other cars with their mods. You also have people selling kit in the Car Parts section, so you can pick up a deal there.

:agree:

I would proceed with caution. Cars with the switchable PSE are desirable for a reason and on the 997.1 they got it right. If you make any changes, just make sure they are easily reversible. Driving a 911 on long journeys (especially motorway) you will notice a lot of road noise / tyre roar, you don't want to add in a droning exhaust... or maybe I am just getting too old!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy you new wheels! :thumb:

Robertb said:

I agree. I'm putting pse boxes back on! The 20oc cats and the pse boxes made a great noise in my opinion.

Can I keep the switchable PSE alongside an xpipe 200 cell cat?

I have PSE and have switched my cats to the 200 cel cross over type + headers to x51 ones and I think it sounds great, but if I were you I would try and hear a few first as most people are going to say their set up it the best, that way you can make your own mind up. You can also change the sound of the PSE by turning it on all the time by either disconnecting the cable or do a switch mod as this opens it through all the revs where as OEM kicks it in a few thousand up the rev range. Personally I would do a switch mod rather than disconnecting it so you can change back when you want without lifting the lid as it is nice sometimes to turn it down so you don't annoy the neighbours or on long motorway runs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back