Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changed the Car Stereo in the 996 GT3 to an Alpine! Wow!

Jibberingloon

Well I've had the car 5 years and never bothered changing the stereo, but over the years I have driven a lot of new pork and the stereos were sooo much better.

Admittedly I normally listen to the flat 6 sound track, but its always nice to have some music every now and again :)

Anyway got bored on the weekend so bought an Alpine CDE 178BT so I could hook my iPhone up to.

My GOD

Just changing the Head Unit has transformed the sound quality in my car it's a 1000000 times better, I have no distortion and the bass is a lot clearer and I only have to use 60% of Volume rather than 95%....

The old Porsche Becker system was pooooooo, should have done this 5 years ago!

Anyway.....

Happy Man :thumb:

Hi

was it an easy install? Did it connect straight into the loom connector?

Sounds like a nice way to have music on the move from iPhone/iPod and blue tooth iPhone connection.

Thanks in advance

Simon

very very simple :)

Just spent £200 on the stereo

The Car Audio shop gave me a set of keys to take the becker one out.

I then had to buy an aerial adapter for £5

Wipped it all out

Put the cage in for the new stereo

The Porsche stereo plugs for Power and Speakers are all ISO so its just plug and play to the Alpine harness supplied.

Job done in less than 30 mins ;)

SIMPLE and have to say the sound quality is great :thumb:

:useless:

Hi, I thought these cars had a BMW-like system where the new stereo needs to be 'coded' to the car with appropriate hardware (e.g. at OPC).

I assume then this is not the case?

I will get some pictures on the Weekend :)

A how to.....

Will take it all out and then put it back in with some camera shots ;)

puntograle said:
Hi, I thought these cars had a BMW-like system where the new stereo needs to be 'coded' to the car with appropriate hardware (e.g. at OPC).

I assume then this is not the case?

if replacing with a factory stereo you are right I believe

By any chance is this a Gen 1 996 GT3?
The 996.2 MOST bus head unit is supposedly not so straightforward to upgrade...

Disco said:
By any chance is this a Gen 1 996 GT3?
The 996.2 MOST bus head unit is supposedly not so straightforward to upgrade...

OP has an '03 MK2.

I think you're confusing the intricacies of interfacing the CD changer & the Bose system, which do use the MOST bus, with a simple replacement of the plain old CDR-23 head unit used in the GT3, which is pretty old-school.

Just to clarify.

Its a basic CDR 23 so No Bose and No Changer

If this is the radio you have its a simple swap over.

The standard Porsche Wiring loom is a ISO

ISO_cable_standard.jpg

and it has a different aerial that you need to get an apater for (Can differ between models (So remove radio to look first before buying!

This was mine
antenna_adapter_1.jpg

Can be
mqttIAIEu6TQaPL6yKZxmxA.jpg

or

0,0,318,853,800,600,648b4342.jpg

Other than that you have to wire a permeanent live from either the fuse box, or heater or cig light, and then connect this to the New Radio head unit.

Other than that its SIMPLE :)

Oh and you need a set of Becker Radio removal keys.

radio_keys.sized.jpg

Here are some images from Pelican Parts

pic02.jpg

Thanks.

All looked simple until you mentioned the part about wiring a live connection?!

I can do simple DIY/electrics...is this simple DIY/electrics?

Its simple ;)

Find live feed from either Fuse Box drivers foot well, or behind the dash, lighter / ignition.

Put a wire in and feed it to the back of the radio with a nice connector.

The problem is the porsche ISO only has a switch live.

All new radio's need a switch and a perm live. (Yellow & Red) on the wiring harness.

I will take a picture on weekend

Did exactly the same on my 996 GT3, and it definately makes a huge difference. However, then removing my silencers made the whole stereo exercise, a little pointless, as I can't hear a thing when driving..... :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DocGastro
Back