Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman GT4 or 991 GTS

I thought that the 981 GT4 had the same 3.8 engine as the 991.1? The GTS is slight tuned for another 30hp but fundamentally they have the same engine.

I thought that the 981 GT4 had the same 3.8 engine as the 991.1? The GTS is slight tuned for another 30hp but fundamentally they have the same engine.

It does. Although comparing GT4 and GTS you're talking 45PS extra on the GTS and it's not entirely identical in terms of hardware. The powerkit engine has a bespoke induction system, ported and flowed heads and high lift inlet cams. So a fair few bits. It's got noticeably more pop on the top end. GTS lump in the GT4 would have been lovely.

Hi, looking to get back into a Porsche this year….last one I had was back in 2016.

I can’t decide between a 991GTS or Cayman GT4…..very different cars for a very similar budget.

Where would you put your money? For info it will be an occasional car and no of seats no issues.

TIA.

I had a GT4 - with the clubsport pack and the bucket seats, so the full sense of occasion car - but haven’t had a 991 GTS.

Snapshot view of the GT4: pretty amazing car. It fits around you like a glove. It feels stripped out (though it isn’t by true track car standards). The gearshift is unbelievably sweet, the steering sublime and the pedal weights spot on.

On the move it’s amazing. It goes fast by never having to slow down. Roundabouts become things you seek out then go back for.

Straight line grunt isn’t its “thing”. The engine is nice enough, revs high and hard and sounds great. But you do feel that it could easily cope with another 50bhp.

It is very much a car for the driver. It’s very firm and quite noisy (as loud at 70 as my V12VS is at 120, and a firmer in normal mode than the V12VS is in track mode). The sound system is awful. These are the reasons I moved mine on: no one else in the family ever wanted to travel in it. And I had some sympathy for that, because as much as I liked it, I knew that the enjoyment came from driving it.

I had planned to use it as a track toy but found out that it is too noisy for a few tracks, so beware of that. The cage, harnesses, buckets and extinguisher all add to the theatre and make drives a bit of an occasion, but for road use they are just that: pure theatre.

we have just gained a 718 GT4 into the family -will post pics after we collect next weekend
So excited to have manual GT car :)

Nice
I was sitting on one at the local OPC I found it more comfy than my S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZACal
Back