Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cars with investment potential?

Bieldside

Nurburgring
With banks paying nothing on deposits just pondering if there any current models that may be worth buying and tucking away
If I exclude the obvious ones like my 9934s wondering about
- my 996 TurboS
- the R60Spyder Boxster in GT metallic with red
- 993 Targa
- 996 GT3
- Cayman Design Edition 1

Thoughts welcomed

Bieldside said:

Thoughts welcomed

Youve believed the hype on pistonheads havent you :lol:

I don't think any of these have serious investment potential, particularly not if you factor in the £100 per month storage cost, any extra Insurance required, costs to put the car in storage and take it out of storage properly. It isn't exactly a liquid asset either, so yout might well have trouble in selling to get the best price for it.
If you do want to do it though, I'd be looking for a car which is completely standard with no mods and keep it original.

If you assume that your costs are only £1200 per year, and you buy a good GT3 for £40k and keep it for five years, to get a return after costs of 3% the value would have to go up to £52k.

MC

Buy at the right price, run it for a few years and then sell it on. You won't necessarily make much money, but you shouldn't lose out and will have a heck of a lot of fun :thumb:

Could be at the top of the curve but those who bought 964 two years ago must be rather smug :grin:

If I get better returns than the depreciation on a mainstream car that's good enough for me :thumb:

Well over the last five years, the 930 has gone up and up in price and value.

surely if the object is to make money you should buy whatever is cheapest - 996 - not somethhing that is already expensive and hope it gets more so.

Cant think of any Boxster that will ever be collectable, too may produced, too many versions and a model that will continue to improved upon.

When the first boxster came out it was great to drive, go drive a 97 2.5 after driving a 981 and you'll see what I mean

I think a sub 50,000 mile 993 between 5 & 10 years time will probably be worth circa £50,000, and probably even the 100,000 mile cars will creep up towards £30,000, if with a history to show major restoration

993 Rs & GT2 will continue to rise

996 GT3 were tipped by the times 18 months ago but prices if anything have gone down, but as they are 10 years old now and not bought by collectors but drivers, I think its hard for a used car to become collectors piece.

Would you have 80,000 mile 996 Gt3 over a 997 Gt3 or a 991 Gt3?

Bieldside said:
With banks paying nothing on deposits just pondering if there any current models that may be worth buying and tucking away
If I exclude the obvious ones like my 9934s wondering about
- my 996 TurboS
- 993 Targa
- 996 GT3

Thoughts welcomed

Because of the volumes the RS60 Boxster and Cayman Design Edition 1 were produced in they have limited future value, except for reduced depreciation over the regular models.

Keep the Wide Body 993 4S since it had real Turbo components, as opposed to these modern editions with badging...

Only collectible Porsche's for me:

964 RS
993's (of most variants)

But really the only one worth keeping in a cocoon:

997 GT3 RS 4.0 (last manual)

I don't believe any 996 (including that GT2 on P.heads will go up as they are - wrongly - disliked by so many)

BUT WHO KNOWS! :D

You can pick up MOT'd 944's for a grand.

Don't use it, store it 20 years and it'll be a two grand car? A running 944 in 2023?
:thumb:

Is it as bankable that the £50k car will double and be a £100k car in the same time?
:nooo:

Bear with me...

Mmm...

Buy 50 used 944's!
IF they all double in value then there is your investment. IF they don't then by 2023 they will probably be the only 50 left, so crush all of them apart from 10 cars, sell them for £10k each, there is your £100k again.

I want £50,000 for 40% of the business. Ta.
:)

Probably anything with 'RS' in the name :dont know:

996 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS 4.0
997 GT2 RS

997 Sport Classic :?:

think i may stick mine up for sale with a 25% over inflated price just to wind up the ph massive and hopefully drag the 996 GT3 market up

Though your starting to see 997.3.1's being cheaper than low mile 996.3's but im not sure of their history

RichiRich said:

996 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS 4.0
997 GT2 RS

Only if the RS starts with a 993 and possibly a 964 :D

Anyway to the op always buy the car you like and drive it, if it becomes more valuable further down the line then That's a bonus

RichiRich said:

996 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS
997 GT3 RS 4.0
997 GT2 RS

+1 on all of the above.

If you sway away from Porsche,
Renault Clio Williams (possibly)
Mk4 Golf R32
Audi Quattro