Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cars my Dad (or mum) had and memories thereof

Jcx

Estoril
Joined
15 Aug 2013
Messages
3,876
It all started with the 'Hot Hatches' thread. http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=917426#917426

Some super cars were offered up to the OP as suggestions for the next fun purchase. As we all skidded town memory lane the inevitable happened; the 'my dad had that' stories started. So to avoid a thread hijack I started this one to continue the reminiscing.

My first contribution was this: "I recall picking up my dad's new GolfS in 1975. Was a special day. Was the vw equiv of polar silver, not sure of the golf name for that but it was rapid. Wasn't until i was much older that i realised it was a Golf 'S' and not a 'Golfs' "

Who else has a mum/dad car story to share? I have lots more so will drip feed them through...

If i am honest I cant wait to read your stories of capris, escorts, rovers, granadas, 2CVs, cortinas, allegros, etc.
 
My chum at school. His mum had a red Austin 1100 as the 'school/shopping' car. The best thing his mum ever bought him was a Lord Anthony 'snorkel' Parker coat. He wore the hood zipped up in the car to save his embarassment :nooo: Remember the ribbon speedo and extra wide gait in the gearbox literally opening the passenger door to shift it over into reverse :grin:

Someone on here had a Dolomite or Austin Princess is my guess :oops:
 
Might give my age away posting this. Have no idea what they are but the first belonged to my parents -- would have been the early 50's - and the second to my maternal grandparents - late 40's I think.
 

Attachments

  • first_car_03_205.jpg
    first_car_03_205.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 6,308
  • first_car_02_197.jpg
    first_car_02_197.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 6,308
Nice pics.

Not a car, granted, but here is my dad on a pal's bike.

image_zps2d221229.jpg
 
Going back to the early 90s my Dad bought a Cavalier SRi, one of the first cars I took notice of. Bright red and the envy of the local boy racers. Was stolen and joy riden a year later!

What a waste :(

Chris
 
Dad had Vauxhall Viva's.

I used to get terribly travel sick as a child, and would spend hours holding my face over the air vent trying to get air, I can picture the vent clearly even now, it was like a big round ball socket with an open close knob in the middle, and when you looked down it you could see the large ducting and some of the bodywork colour. Hours I spent looking down there...

His Police cars were cool too, Range rovers and Rover SD1's and BMW motorbikes. It was like his work cars were the same as those in the Professionals!

:thumbs:
 
Nice one JCX :thumb: I think PeterS has a pair of those sandals your Dad is wearing :whistle:
 
Zingari said:
Nice one JCX :thumb: I think PeterS has a pair of those sandals your Dad is wearing :whistle:

Classics aren't they?! LOL
 
clarkycat said:
Dad had Vauxhall Viva's.

I used to get terribly travel sick as a child, and would spend hours holding my face over the air vent trying to get air, I can picture the vent clearly even now, it was like a big round ball socket with an open close knob in the middle, and when you looked down it you could see the large ducting and some of the bodywork colour. Hours I spent looking down there...

His Police cars were cool too, Range rovers and Rover SD1's and BMW motorbikes. It was like his work cars were the same as those in the Professionals!

:thumbs:

We had a vauxhall victor for a while. Was rubbish. Went through a deep puddle and the car cut out. If i recall right the electric bits we all on the underside of the engine closest to the ground, and puddles.

Did have a cavalier afterwards that was much better. White with red interior, red seats, dash, door cards, carpet, everything!! I loved that car. Listening to Bread on the tape deck. Still ove Bread, still love red interiors.
 
We were on holiday down in Cornwall during the summer of 1974 and remember my father dropping us off at Marizion beach in a Hillman Hunter 1725GT

Windows-1252QDCber_Zwischengas_Werbung5FSponsoring_HE4ufige_Frage_zps3817a570.jpg


It was 1st August 1974 and during that day he had traded in the Hunter for a new one of these. It is amazing how I can still remember the registration SRL725N, but can't remember my wife's birthday :oops:

Windows-1252QAz_E9n_Wartburgom5F_5F_zpsca35abdb.jpg
 
LIZ111S said:
We were on holiday down in Cornwall during the summer of 1974 and remember my father dropping us off at Marizion beach in a Hillman Hunter 1725GT

Windows-1252QDCber_Zwischengas_Werbung5FSponsoring_HE4ufige_Frage_zps3817a570.jpg


It was 1st August 1974 and during that day he had traded in the Hunter for a new one of these. It is amazing how I can still remember the registration SRL725N, but can't remember my wife's birthday :oops:

Windows-1252QAz_E9n_Wartburgom5F_5F_zpsca35abdb.jpg

What is that?!
 
recall a Mercedes 200 from back in the day, W123 series

but many years in a VW Golf CL :D
 
The cars my Dad had whenI was growing up, until I left home;

Hillman Huskey - 1965
Ford Consul - 1965 to 1967
Singer Vogue - 1967 to 1971
Triumph Herald - 1971 to 1974
Morris Marina - 1974 to 1977

Sorry no pics.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,818
Messages
1,443,889
Members
49,323
Latest member
xx22
Back
Top