Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car wash Noooooooo!

SaintsPaul

Imagine my horror today when I saw a 996 Turbo being cleaned in one of those hand car wash places!!
The thought of those useless monkeys washing your pride and joy :eek: .
Just goes to show that some people really have no interest in the car they drive.

Hmmmm, there are two such places near me and I'd let either of them wash my car for me. They do nearly as good a job as me and I just get to sit there. They use two buckets, hoses etc and dry with towels. I don't see it as a problem. What's up with the places near you?

There is about 6 of them who do a particular part of the clean.
They use sponges and chamois leathers. No 2 bucket method.
I have even seen them stood on the wheels of cars to reach the roof of 4X4's !

SaintsPaul said:
Imagine my horror today when I saw a 996 Turbo being cleaned in one of those hand car wash places!!
Just goes to show that some people really have no interest in the car they drive.

I use a local hand car wash and can assure you that I take every interest in my car, I just have better things to do than spend time washing my car.

colnagoglyn said:
SaintsPaul said:

I use a local hand car wash and can assure you that I take every interest in my car, I just have better things to do than spend time washing my car.

Yep, same here. Take both mine and Mrs W's 4x4 (where they stand on the wheels to wash the roof!) and I sit there very happy knowing that I am not going to be doing it and it's another job done!

Mine gets polished by me and my six year old every couple of weeks - but whilst I take every interest in the car I drive I take more pleasure from driving it than I do washing it!

JW

PS And mine was detailed by Elite last year as well... although not sure if this adds confusion or clarity! :thumb:

I love my car, but have been a bit under the weather recently so have used a couple of hand car washes in the last few months. First one was the local supermarket, not great, later found out they'd jet washed one of my colour crested wheel centres off so that ended up being an expensive wash. Then used a place in Leatherhead and they did an excellent job, will use again if I need to although I do enjoy washing my own car.

SaintsPaul said:
I have even seen them stood on the wheels of cars to reach the roof of 4X4's !

What's up with that - it saves using a ladder that might bang into the body work or opening the doors and standing on the sills trying to avoid water getting in the car? Now, if you'd seen a turbo go into a automatic car wash I'd be with you but I'm not sure I understand your concern.

my only concern is the state of the water the wash mits come out of. It must be pretty filthy,and so they are most likely rubbing the grit of 30 previous washes into your lovely Porsche coachwork.These washes are OK for my company hack, but not my 911.

Jibaro said:
I love my car, but have been a bit under the weather recently
Me too. My cleaning enthusiasm is not what it used to be but still love my cars.

Lucky enough to live in an area surrounded by nice cars. Hence a couple of decent hand car wash places I can trust. They know what their customers expect.

If any of these hand wash places ever pull out one if those silicon squeegee thingys, you need to get out of there quick.

Jibaro said:
I love my car, but have been a bit under the weather recently so have used a couple of hand car washes in the last few months. First one was the local supermarket, not great, later found out they'd jet washed one of my colour crested wheel centres off so that ended up being an expensive wash. Then used a place in Leatherhead and they did an excellent job, will use again if I need to although I do enjoy washing my own car.

Where abouts in LHD please, not far from my work and the family wagon needs washing every now and then.

There's 3 hand car washes within about mile of where I live (city centre) and 1 is quick and dirty (the Polish wash), but the other two are seemingly decent, using:

2 large detailing buckets
snow foam
grit guards
wash mitts
Auto Glym/Meguiars etc

But I still wouldn't use them for the reason that although they look well equipped, careful and conscientious, you always get some arsehole like me, who goes through before you in an Astravan that is absolutely caked in mud and grit.

They will give my van a good scrub, drop their fancy wash mitts back into their fancy detailing buckets, then wave the next person in, and then proceed to dip filthy wash mits into filthy 'van water' and rub it all over your car...

Unless they use a completely clean wash mit for each car, and not 'rinse it' in filthy water from the previous car, I'm oot! :nooo:

Saw one of those mobile car set ups in sainsburys the other week washing down a new A5. He dropped the microfibre on the floor and picked it up to carry on drying off :sad:

A lot of them do a decent job, They are popular places for illegal immigrants to work, some of them have been known to have worked for as little as £10 a day, so just be careful which place you choose

A mate of mine takes a couple of wash mitts in a bucket with him and sponges for the wheels, when he gets his RS3 done at the hand wash place. Seems sensible :thumb:

I can appreciate the OP's point, most of the hand car wash places I see are interested in one thing. That's getting your car done in 10 minutes and then getting the next poor sap in as quick as possible.

I dont deny there must be decent places if you look them out. I just dont risk it, other than when the mercury hits freezing. I quite like spending a few hours cleaning the car once and a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H0wee
Back